All Red footage brownish?

Giovanni Speranza

Hi,

why all red footage i see in the web has a brownish, low saturation, almost monochromatic tint?

Can you provide links to specific examples?

You might be looking at footage that is not color corrected. Or worse, color corrected by someone that isn't too good at it.

• Premium Member
Hi,

why all red footage i see in the web has a brownish, low saturation, almost monochromatic tint?

Are you sure there is not some problem with your monitor? Do you get the same results with other screens?

There are thousands of RED stills and clips available on the web, I have never seen a single one that looks like that.

A full resolution frame grab from the RED should look like a picture from a 12 megapixel still camera, and as far as I have seen, that is what they do look like.

• Premium Member

Well, my RED frames from "Manure" are brownish and desaturated -- but that's because that's how we designed the movie to look.

The RAW look is basically somewhat flat at first when you convert it to RGB to give you more flexibility in color-correction. You can always add more contrast, which in turn, adds more saturation. With normal contrast and black levels set after the conversion, you'll find the saturation to be normal. It would take a little more post work to make it super snappy and hyper-saturated though.

Also, you have to make sure you aren't looking at a low-con LOG image that hasn't gone through a LUT to gamma-correct it for monitor viewing.

• Premium Member
Well, my RED frames from "Manure" are brownish and desaturated -- but that's because that's how we designed the movie to look.

The RAW look is basically somewhat flat at first when you convert it to RGB to give you more flexibility in color-correction. You can always add more contrast, which in turn, adds more saturation. With normal contrast and black levels set after the conversion, you'll find the saturation to be normal. It would take a little more post work to make it super snappy and hyper-saturated though.

Also, you have to make sure you aren't looking at a low-con LOG image that hasn't gone through a LUT to gamma-correct it for monitor viewing.

He did say: "why all red footage i see in the web..."

I doubt that much of what is out there would be anything but end result footage. Unless it was strictly for explanatory purposes, but in that case I am sure that the poster would inclined to point that out.

• Premium Member

Maybe so, but there is an "issue" with Red footage not looking like one would expect b/c of the philosphy to leave much of the image processing for outside of the camera. Looking at completely unprocessed Red footage can be a bit of a shock if not viewed under the proper circumstances and with certain expectations in mind.

Maybe so, but there is an "issue" with Red footage not looking like one would expect b/c of the philosphy to leave much of the image processing for outside of the camera. Looking at completely unprocessed Red footage can be a bit of a shock if not viewed under the proper circumstances and with certain expectations in mind.

Ok, so i'm not blind.

There is some nice RED shots here that Jayson shot:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...t=0&start=0

Thanks David... some nice shots in there...

Plus it kinda reminds me of an old college short I co-directed about a down on his luck pro... but instead of a whole team... it was this outcast boy who wanted to be a pitcher...

I think I lost my copy in my move... need to get a new one from my friend...

Edited by Gary McClurg

Monitoring in REDSpace in build 16 mostly solves this problem, putting a nice looking image on the monitor. And you can toggle back and forth to raw with one button press, to see what's really going on.

What would be really nice if if the camera could feed out a clean image in REDSpace over HD-SDI/HDMI for client monitoring, while still feeding the EVF and on-camera LCD a raw image with overlays, but I'm not sure if the camera has enough onboard processing power to run two separate image processing pipelines at once for monitoring.

Yes and it'a all brownish.

The only grab I don't care for is the batter at the plate... it could just be the cc... but that's the only one that bugs me... the close up... which appears to be at night...

Edited by Gary McClurg

• Premium Member

Giovanni, I suggest you give your monitor a proper calibration. There are lots of brown things in those shots, but no brownish tint. My monitor is calibrated regularly.