Current List of Movie Labs?

Karl that is whats Brians site is about although just the UK.

Yeah, I know John. I was just pulling your leg! From my personal experiences with labs, I know that it is a very erratic, unstable industry with a lot of constant changes going on.

Yes i did know about Technicolor moving to Pinewood that just goes to to prove that the third runway at Heathrow is a done deal as will go where their lab has been for 60 years . Off subject a bit i have looked at your Uk labs list a lot . What i need to know is did MGM at Borehamwood really have a lab at the studios ie Metrocolor or did Technicolor do the neg work and the prints produced at Culver City ? Hope you can help . thanks John .

MGM had a Black and White Laboratory at Borehamwood Studios. It closed. I think. in the late 1960's or early 1970's. Metrocolor was the new name for Kay labs when they were bought out by MGM. They were eventually taken over by Technicolor and closed down in the late 90's. I have a sensitometric pad in my collection of useless rubbish that cams from MGM Labs.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

When Kubrick was doing post on '2001' the Metrocolor print and optical work was all being done in Culver City. There are legendary stories of him out there supervising the final assembly, then taking the train back to NYC.

No one's sure where he saw it in 'Cinerama' for the first time, but there were rumors at the time that MGM took over either the Dome or the Warners up on Hollywood Blvd in the mornings so he could view it, then quickly leaving before the first matinees.

Until a few years ago, the MGM vaults also had the complete original version, before the trims. The camera neg was still there.

Edited by Jim Carlile

• Premium Member
Alright here goes:

The Local Lab - +1 403 277 3092 - 4634 6a St. NE, Calgary, Alberta T2E 4B5 - 16- and 35mm processing and printing ECN-2 ECP-2E - STILL IN BUSINESS??

I believe that they have closed some time ago. :( I was going to send them one of my first test rolls a couple of years ago and brought up the web site to check the price and found they were closed.

So the question was: is there an up-to-date list of processing labs?

No-one has mentioned the Kodak list. John Pytlak would have jumped on this one in half a second - but now he's gone, surely it doesn't take Einstein to work out that Kodak has that sort of information. Not sure how accurate it is - but I know that if I get anything wrong about Kodak on Atlab's site, Kodak let me know pretty quickly, so I would hope that the converse applies too. I've never found it grossly in error.

Here is Kodak's list:

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Suppo...ctory/index.htm

and another list of reversal labs.

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Suppo...rectory/vnf.htm

There's a link on the same page to a list of transfer houses (telecine) but it must be being updated, as the link just takes you back to the home page.

And here's a less complete list - members of ACVL (Association of Cinema & Video Laboratories) - but it comes with some other lab information on the site.

http://www.acvl.org/acvl_members.html

So the question was: is there an up-to-date list of processing labs?

No-one has mentioned the Kodak list. John Pytlak would have jumped on this one in half a second - but now he's gone, surely it doesn't take Einstein to work out that Kodak has that sort of information. Not sure how accurate it is - but I know that if I get anything wrong about Kodak on Atlab's site, Kodak let me know pretty quickly, so I would hope that the converse applies too. I've never found it grossly in error.

Here is Kodak's list:

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Suppo...ctory/index.htm

and another list of reversal labs.

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/Suppo...rectory/vnf.htm

There's a link on the same page to a list of transfer houses (telecine) but it must be being updated, as the link just takes you back to the home page.

And here's a less complete list - members of ACVL (Association of Cinema & Video Laboratories) - but it comes with some other lab information on the site.

http://www.acvl.org/acvl_members.html

Hey Dominic! Yes he would've, in a second. What prompted this post was my inability to find Kodak's lab list. All I could find was Kodak's S8 lab list. I am glad it is still up. They really need to organize their website so it doesn't take a Kodak employee, who gets paid to do it, or 10 hours of time to find something on there, even with a search engine! Is Kodak's list complete, or do they only list labs that use ECN-2 chemistry, as opposed t to Fuji's ECN-2 compatible line?

They really need to organize their website

I think they did that recently. With the result that the long list of links I had collected to get me back into pages I stumbled on earlier, turned into a big list of 404 site not found messages. :(

Is Kodak's list complete, or do they only list labs that use ECN-2 chemistry, as opposed t to Fuji's ECN-2 compatible line?
ECN-2 chemistry is ECN-2 chemistry, wherever you source the chemicals. So far as I know, it's a complete list.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

In the Motion-Picture Film Laboratory List

My lab is packed up at the moment but still existing. Above all it is the workers' skill what counts. Please take me into the list as the one who introduced Gigabitfilm to cinematography, reintroduced variable density sound recording (yes, and it's noiseless), and handles thinner stocks (0,068 mm).

Pity for the London situation

Thank you for keeping us chemists-physicist-night-and-day-strugglers as part of the community.

Simon