Current List of Movie Labs?

I'm just trying to find a source of current labs, as I'm gearing up for a feature and wanted to do some shopping around for prices.

Does anyone know of a current one? I've been using a list form city-net.com that seems to be WOEfully out of date.

Thanks!

In your case where you are located isnt Chicago nearest ? I dont think there is a great difference in price lab to lab . So Astro Labs . if you send neg to NY or LA you have to take in the shipping costs .

IDK, but Detroit would be closest, and NYC would be closer than Chicago, *I think*. I know NYC is very nearly 500 mi. east of me. Maybe 550?

I personally prefer to be able to drive film to the lab rather than shipping it in the mail, but price outweighs transport at the current time.

I know a lot of the labs, but I am surpised that there is no up-to-date, comprehensive list of all of the current ECN-2 labs. I'm also surprised to find that a lot of labs, like Yale have gotten rid of color negative processing, which seems totally counterintuitive to me because ECN-2 film will probably be with us the longest. E-6 and B&W aren't going to hold up nearly as well when people switch over to HD stuff. . .

NFL films in NJ is normally where I get my stuff done, or Technicolor NY.

They process film for people other than themselves?!?! :blink:

Cool.

What do they charge per foot of 16mm? I take it they don't do 35mm?

• Premium Member

No, they do 35mm and anyone's footage. They even do transfers. I think it's .25/ft, though I could be wrong i don't normally handle the financing. I have heard quotes as low as .13/ft, but don't quote me on that.

But, yeah, they're pretty awesome. Normally I use them for my processing, or Technicolor NY, and then do my supervised at Shooters in Phila.

Thanks for the tips on labs guys, but to get back to the original purpose of this thread, I am quite worried that there isn't an up-to-date listing of all of the current ECN-2 labs. I guess I'll take it upon myself to compile a list then. Maybe we can have it as a sticky here.

I'll dig up my print-outs of the very dated list I have, post them here with the information I've found as to which labs are defunct and which ones have stopped offering ECN-2, and then if any of you can add further labs I've missed, we'll try to compile a complete list here, starting with the Unitted States of America of course :P

NFL Films definitely wasn't on the list, so I'll add that one right now. . .

• Premium Member

I use The Lab @ Video Post & Transfer in Dallas. They process 16mm & 35mm negative. They do mostly higher-end commercials and the lab director Glenn has been there for quite a while and knows his craft. Always about quality. They might be the only lab still operating in Texas or even the region.

A list of operating labs would be nice to have.

I use The Lab @ Video Post & Transfer in Dallas. They process 16mm & 35mm negative. They do mostly higher-end commercials and the lab director Glenn has been there for quite a while and knows his craft. Always about quality. They might be the only lab still operating in Texas or even the region.

A list of operating labs would be nice to have.

Will, I'm going to throw something up here presently. I haven't been able to check the whole West Coast or Mountain region of the U.S., so since you are in that region a double check on your part would be helpful, as this list is probably at least a decade old. Alright, now I need to go through and double check the list again and type it up. . .

Alright here goes:

Current ECN-2 Processing Laboratories in Canada and the United States of America:

East Coast:

A & I Film Lab - Formerly offering ECN-2 processing / ECP-2E printing for still lengths NO LONGER PROCESSING ECN-2

Bono Film & Video Services - +1 703 243 0800 - bonofilms@aol.com - 3200 Lee Highway Arlignton, VA 22207 ECN-2 processing but have since, to my knowledge stopped printing ECP-2E, HD Telecine

Cinelab - +1 508 672 1204 - www.cinelab.com -315 Pleasant Street, Suite 11, Fall River, MA 02721 - ECN-2 processing, ECP-2E printing, HD Telecine

Colorlab - +1 301 770 2128 - 5708 Arundel Rockville, MD 20852 ECN-2 processing, no longer printing?

Commonwealth Flims - +1 804 649 8611 - 1500 Brook Road Richmond, VA 23220 - NOT SURE IF STILL IN BUSINESS

C. R. Photo & Imaging - mail@crphoto.net - 19680 Center Ridge Road, Rocky River, OH 44116 - ECN-2/ECP-2E still lengths processing. Only U.S. lab except Dale. Aiming to be online in early August, not currently operational.

Du-Art - +1 212 757 4580 - 245 West 55th St., New York, NY 10019 - ECN-2 Processing Plus Printing

Lab Link - +1 212 302 7373 - 115 West 45th St., New York, NY 10036 - ECN-2 bulk processing & printing - STILL IN BUSINESS?

NFL Filims Lab - NJ - 16- and 35mm ECN-2 processing CONTACT INFO?

Plattsburgh Photographic Services - +1 518 561 6312 - Super8mm@aol.com - 8 Elm Street, Plattsburgh, NY 12901 - Custom ECN-2 processing and old film processing, by appointment only, part time hobby business

Post Works - CONTACT INFO???

Technicolor, NYC - +1 212 582 7310 - 321 W. 44th St., New York, NY 10036 - ECN-2 ECP-2E 16- and 35mm processing

Midwest

Astro - +1 312 280 5500 - 61 West Erie, Chicago, IL 60610 - 16- and 35mm ECN-2 & ECP-2E processing

Filmcraft Labs - +1 313 962 2611 - 66 Sibley St., Detroit MI, 48201 - ECN-2 and ECP-2E processing - STILL IN BUSINESS?

Prep Film Services - +1 800 793 3456 - 21940 Cumberland, Northville, MA, 48167 - ECN-2 OUTLABBING NOW?

Producer's Color Service - +1 313 874 1112 - 2921 East Grand Blvd. Detroit, MI, 48202 - ECN-2, ECP-2E processing and printing - STILL IN BUSINESS???

Southern

Allied Flim Lab - +1 214 869 0100 - 6305 North O'Conner Blvd., Irving, TX 75039 - 16- and 35mm ECN-2, ECP-2E processing

Cinefilm - +1 800 633 1448 - 2156 Faulkner Rd. NE, Atlanta, GA 30324 - 16- and 35mm Processing and Printing

Continental Flim Lab - +1 800 327 8396 - 1998 NE 150th St. N. Miami, FL 33181 - 16- and 35mm processing and printing - STILL IN BUSINESS?

Dale Labs - Only ECN-2 ECP-2E still length processor in N. America - Once a week processing runs INFO?

MPL Flim & Video - +1 615 256 1675 - 621 Mainstream Dr., Suite 260, Nashville, TN 37228 - ECN-2 processing 16- and 35mm; no ECP-2E printing

The Lab @ Video Post & Transfer - CONTACT INFO? In Dallas Texas

Western

Alpha Cine Labs - +1 206 682 8230 or + 1 800 682 2510 - www.alphacine.com - 1001 Lenora Street, Seattle, WA 98121 - ECN-2 and ECP-2E processing of 8-, 16-, and 35mm

Foto-kem/Foto-tronics - +1 818 846 3101 - 2880 West Clive, Burbank, CA 91505 - 16- and 35mm ECN-2 processing and ECP-2E printing, high-end and haughty, not for "small fry"

Interformat/Monaco - +1 415 626 1100 - 234 Ninth St., San Francisco, CA 94103 - 8- 16- and 35mm processing and printing ECN-2 and ECP-2E

Pro-8mm - +1 818 848 5522 - 2805 Magnolia Blvd., Burbank, CA 91505 - 8mm only, described as "All-around jerk rip-off artists" CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Spectra Flim & Video - +1 818 762 4545 - www.spectrafilmandvideo.com - 5626 Vineland Ave., N Hollywood, CA 90601 - 8- (16- and 35-?)mm ECN-2 processing (and printing?)

Yale Film Laboratory - NO LONGER DOES ECN-2!!!

Last, but not least, Canadian Labs, eh?

Niagara Custom Lab - +1 416 504 3927 - www.niagaracustomlab.com - 442 Dufferin Street, Unit K, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6K 2A3 - 8- 16- and 35mm ECN-2 processing (and printing?)

The Local Lab - +1 403 277 3092 - 4634 6a St. NE, Calgary, Alberta T2E 4B5 - 16- and 35mm processing and printing ECN-2 ECP-2E - STILL IN BUSINESS??

THAT'S ALL I HAVE

Please contribute information if you have any as to errors or labs that I have missed. I have tried my best to describe services accurately. I would appreciate information as to HD telecine capability and format and printing capabilities that I have unknowingly ommitted. Hopefully, we can make a FAQ with this and post it at the top of this sub-forum

~KB

• Premium Member

DELUXE | LABORATORIES | TORONTO

* Deluxe Laboratories, Inc.

* 350 Evans Avenue

* Etobicoke, Ontario

* Canada M8Z 1K5

* P: 416.364.4321

* F: 416.348.0104

* view services

* paul.norris@bydeluxe.com

.DELUXE VANCOUVER

* 50 West 2nd Avenue

* Vancouver, BC V5Y 1B3

* Canada

* P: 604.872.7000

* F: 604.872.2106

* view services

* william.baldwin@bydeluxe.com

Technicolor also has Canadian Services, though I'm not sure what.

I'd appreciate if we could get some help from others out there as to any errors in the list. . .

Also, if we could get a hand with Mexic, S. America, Carribean, Hawai'i, Europe, Africa, & (Austral-)Asia, that'd be great.

I'd appreciate if we could get some help from others out there as to any errors in the list. . .

Also, if we could get a hand with Mexic, S. America, Carribean, Hawai'i, Europe, Africa, & (Austral-)Asia, that'd be great.

I maintain a list of motion picture labs in the UK both past and present (a lot more past than present!) on my website at http://www.brianpritchard.com/British%20Labs.htm. There are 12 labs operating in the UK today although that will drop to 11 in the next few weeks when Todd-AO close. The list does include the National Archive Laboratory which is not actually a commercial lab but I try to include every lab that has ever existed in the UK. I am always pleased to hear of any errors or omissions.

Brian

I think you will find that Todd-Ao arnt closing but just not processing Super 8 after tomorrow ,31/7/08.

This is sure to start a flame war but that is probably a blessing in disguise! ;)

I maintain a list of motion picture labs in the UK both past and present (a lot more past than present!) on my website at http://www.brianpritchard.com/British%20Labs.htm. There are 12 labs operating in the UK today although that will drop to 11 in the next few weeks when Todd-AO close. The list does include the National Archive Laboratory which is not actually a commercial lab but I try to include every lab that has ever existed in the UK. I am always pleased to hear of any errors or omissions.

Brian

Brian, would you mind if I posted part of your current list of UK labs here? Hopefully we can maintain a continually-up-to-date list of all motion picture labs worldwide on this site.

That would be a valuable resource for filmmakers on these fora.

I think you will find that Todd-Ao arnt closing but just not processing Super 8 after tomorrow ,31/7/08.

As I understand John, Ascent Media, owners of Todd-AO and Soho Images, have already moved the processing equipment to Soho and the staff at both labs are under notice of redundancy. Todd will close in the next month.

Karl, you are welcome to publish the details, glad to help.

Brian

Yes i did know about Technicolor moving to Pinewood that just goes to to prove that the third runway at Heathrow is a done deal as will go where their lab has been for 60 years . Off subject a bit i have looked at your Uk labs list a lot . What i need to know is did MGM at Borehamwood really have a lab at the studios ie Metrocolor or did Technicolor do the neg work and the prints produced at Culver City ? Hope you can help . thanks John .

Karl, you are welcome to publish the details, glad to help.

Thanks Brian!

Does anyone else want to chime in for labs in Mexico, Hawai'i, South America, (Austral-) Asia, & Africa?

Yes i did know about Technicolor moving to Pinewood that just goes to to prove that the third runway at Heathrow is a done deal as will go where their lab has been for 60 years . Off subject a bit i have looked at your Uk labs list a lot . What i need to know is did MGM at Borehamwood really have a lab at the studios ie Metrocolor or did Technicolor do the neg work and the prints produced at Culver City ? Hope you can help . thanks John .

Now here is a fascinating subject, photographic laboratory history!