The first RED camera

Tim O'Connor

Love the highlight trails on old tube camera images!

As the world moves toward higher and higher definition images there is something lost in the process, the soul of the technologies of yore, if you will. I wonder if anyone is using these cameras to make movies with now.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• Premium Member
Love the highlight trails on old tube camera images!

As the world moves toward higher and higher definition images there is something lost in the process, the soul of the technologies of yore, if you will. I wonder if anyone is using these cameras to make movies with now.

I heard somewhere that there is a plug-in effects package that has a filter to simulate the tube look, especially the light trails!

I heard somewhere that there is a plug-in effects package that has a filter to simulate the tube look, especially the light trails!

That is great! I wonder if it increases the soft richness of the picture as well, which is the other thing I love about tube cameras. Maybe there is a tube nut out there somewhere who has a hardware picture tube processor, that affects the picture as it is fed through real time, much like audio tube preamps do. Maybe in Russia, as they took the tube technology to its pinnacle. If they can make MIG's fly on tubes, they can get that picture tube processor done! Plugins can be hit or miss . . .

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• Premium Member
This was the first Red camera I used. Good old three tube camera. They stopped making it because the movie studios were threatened.

LOL. Thanks god they did stop making it!

Have you guys ever seen a tube camera image after the tube got really burned by the sun? Looks really nice, wish I had a still of that video. A camera op friend of mien showed it to me once.

As for the plugin, maybe build an external tube video processing box to feed the video through, that be nice! Kinda like the old reverb things in audio.

Cheers, Dave

• Premium Member
LOL. Thanks god they did stop making it!

Have you guys ever seen a tube camera image after the tube got really burned by the sun? Looks really nice, wish I had a still of that video. A camera op friend of mien showed it to me once.

As for the plugin, maybe build an external tube video processing box to feed the video through, that be nice! Kinda like the old reverb things in audio.

Cheers, Dave

I remember that production companies and news stations would always designate their worst camera for certain duties, so that when say shooting a concert with unavoidable bright lights, at least only one camera would take most of the beating. When they used that camera on another job/story, you definitely

knew it when you were watching tv.

My old Pontiac had an AM radio with a factory reverb switch. That thing got respect even from the guys who had gone out and put in their own stereos.

It was a convertible too and even with the roof down it worked great.