Daylight Practicals

Guest Stephen Murphy

Guest Stephen Murphy

Does anybody know what the largest size i.e wattage, daylight photoflood bulb i could plug into a household practical is?

I have a series of 6 overhead practicals in a location that id like to use but ideally i need each bulb to be 500w or 1k bulbs to be of any use. Do photofloods come in that large a size and if so do i need to be worried about them damaging the practicals?

Guest Stephen Murphy
Stephen i have never heard of a "daylight" photoflood they are 3400k . 6 x 500w is pushing it on the lighting circuit fuse wise and apart from the power think you could do some damage . John

Surely there must be a daylight equivalent? Im nearly sure ive used them before, perhaps not a "photoflood" but certainly smaller 150w daylight balanced bulbs. anyone know of a higher wattage daylight bulb? (bayonet and screw mount)

• Premium Member
Surely there must be a daylight equivalent? Im nearly sure ive used them before, perhaps not a "photoflood" but certainly smaller 150w daylight balanced bulbs. anyone know of a higher wattage daylight bulb? (bayonet and screw mount)

Hi,

I think the maximium ones are 150w, they dont last very long, from memory about 8 hours.

Stephen

Guest Stephen Murphy
Hi,

I think the maximium ones are 150w, they dont last very long, from memory about 8 hours.

Stephen

poop.

Whats the largest 3200/3400K bulb?

Hi Stephen,

I just checked Film tools, they have some 120v 500w 4800K bulbs.

http://www.filmtools.com/ebw500wattge.html

Stephen.

I know you aren't going to want to hear this, so please avert your eyes now:

********Daylight balanced compact flo's!******

Oh Yes!

Easy on the mains supply, output close to 500w, low heat. They are your freinds!

I'm sorry but it just had to be said!

...So I'm a heretic! You already knew that really deep down inside.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member
I know you aren't going to want to hear this, so please avert your eyes now:

********Daylight balanced compact flo's!******

Oh Yes!

Easy on the mains supply, output close to 500w, low heat. They are your freinds!

I'm sorry but it just had to be said!

...So I'm a heretic! You already knew that really deep down inside.

love

Freya

Hi,

The big ones I have tested have horrible colours, I did find one 'true color' but it was equiverlent of 100w or so, it broke it the first time I used it!

Stephen

Guest Stephen Murphy

Thanks Stephen,

If they have a 120v 500w version then somebody must have a 240v 500w version. I'll call panalux in the morning and see what they have. Now to find some photometrics for them!

S

Hi,

The big ones I have tested have horrible colours, I did find one 'true color' but it was equiverlent of 100w or so, it broke it the first time I used it!

Stephen

Sorry Mr Williams, I meant to quote Mr Murphy but was too busy trying to score a copy of "blue velvet" off e-bay! (Yes it's mine all mine!)

Anyway I suspect you speak truly, I have so far only tried the ordinary compact flos but I have a high wattage daylight balanced bulb right here to play with soon because basically there is a part of me that no longer cares and another part that is now slightly evil (the good part of me has some tungsten fixtures and some 1/4 CTB). British gas aren't helping much either.

The ordinary compact flo's (not daylight) did give kind of horrible skintones even after white balance but then it can be a horrible world out there.

There are of course many kinds of daylight balanced compact flo's out there of various makes and quality and I also wonder how easy it will be to get 6 that match even if you find a good make.

I've not tried it tho.

I suspect that good results could be had if you can find the right ones but they will probably never be quite as beautiful as real tungsten light but then...

love

Freya

Does anybody know what the largest size i.e wattage, daylight photoflood bulb i could plug into a household practical is?

I have a series of 6 overhead practicals in a location that id like to use but ideally i need each bulb to be 500w or 1k bulbs to be of any use. Do photofloods come in that large a size and if so do i need to be worried about them damaging the practicals?

The average household practical is rated at about 60w, some of them can handle 100w if you are lucky.

You probably want to swap the ones out that you can for ceramic holders. If some of them are all brass then you might be lucky as they may take the heat and even be earthed but in any case you dont want to run them for long periods.

I think John is right to be concerned abut the total load on the circuit tho, thats a lot of watts and they might be all on the same ring.

Depending on what you mean by location and overhead practicals! ;)

love

Freya

I think John is right to be concerned abut the total load on the circuit tho, thats a lot of watts and they might be all on the same ring.

Depending on what you mean by location and overhead practicals! ;)

I meant circuit not ring, my mind is on cheap DVD's I'm afraid and other things too ghastly to mention.

Which brings up another thing depending on what you were asking.

The lighting circuits are generally protected by a 5 amp fuse. That enough for 2.5 500watt bulbs I think, or something like that. Lets say two to be on the safe side.

The lighting circuit isn't as powerful as the socket things, the wire is less than 13amps safe.

love

Freya

Guest Stephen Murphy
Stephen , any update on the photofloods ?

hi John,

I have my gaffer looking into it today but its looking like i'll be lucky to get away with 150w daylight bulbs due to heat issues with the household sockets. I'm going to augment the practicals with chinballs just above the frame line so i should still get the effect i was looking for, more or less:)

S

Guest Stephen Murphy
Are they the daylight bulbs you can get in artists shops ? clear with a blue coating ?

Havent seen the ones im using for this project yet, although i have used those artists bulbs before and they were fine, lower wattage though and not quite 5600K. Shooting on sat so when i get hold of them ill take a photo!:)

If you are interested: along with EBW's there are BCA's which are 250 watts, 120 volts. When you use them be careful as they get intensely hot. But they don't last very long

Some use 100 and 60 watt AD bulbs which are kind of daylight. They may be a bit warmer than EBW's and BCA's

Best

Tim

There are 5500K (mid daylight white balance) balanced E27 fluos out there that consume 85W and will output about 300W equivalent of tungsten. Do not use anything with higher Kelvin count as those will turn blueish when compared to real daylight.

And then there's the Powerup adapter that lets you screw 4x E27 fixtures into one E27 socket giving you 1200W worth of light on a single practical light bulb socket consuming 4x85W with a heat output of 100W tungsten.

Really cool stuff - say goodbye to yellowish practicals in the bluewindowed room - I mean you will be able to use daylight white balance indoors when there's daylight outside - no more blue windows in the scene.

The light from the those bulbs is more diffused too.

Beware, I'm talking as a digital guy here and I don' t know how all those lamps work in real film environment.

Maybe that helps,

T

Guest Stephen Murphy

Sorry John, no photos to post, when i turned up to set on Saturday i was informed that there were no daylight bulbs available at the rental house:-( Production couldnt find the 150 w versions i was looking for anywhere, best they coudl do was 100w from an art store. Had to rethink my plans on the spot:-(

Guest Stephen Murphy

;)

Ok Stephen thanks for the post . Iam sure whatever you had to do without those bulbs still looks good . john .

Thanks john - i do hope so! when i have frame grabs ill psot here as usual.

S