Shooting at Night or Low light indoor with the HD100

warner brown

Hey guys, so I recently test shot two things, one indoor in low light, and one outdoor at night on a lit street with night settings I found somewhere (I'm not sure if they were the correct settings) I've also tried it in true color settings.

To get anything in focus, a person or a lamp post, I have to zoom right into an extreme close-up.

Are there good night settings any of you know of, so my wide shots can be focused in dark situations?

Thanks for any help!

-W

• Premium Member

You normally want to zoom in to find focus in any situation. . . If it's too dark @ night, well then you either need to put more light, or like you do, focus on a light/lit area approximately where you're filming, or turn up the gain to find focus, then turn it off again.

Zooming in to find focus points and then zooming out to the correct framing is pretty standard practise. The alternative is to use the focus marks on the zoom with a tape measure, although you'd have to check the accuracy of the distance markings and the scale isn't that great anyway.

Also, make sure that the back focus on the zoom lens is correctly set up.

Zooming in to find focus points and then zooming out to the correct framing is pretty standard practise. The alternative is to use the focus marks on the zoom with a tape measure, although you'd have to check the accuracy of the distance markings and the scale isn't that great anyway.

Also, make sure that the back focus on the zoom lens is correctly set up.

Thanks Brian, it was just the back focus ring that needed to be adjusted.