Super8 Ballet Performance

Rafael Rivera

Here's a sample of Vision2 Super8 shot during a live Ballet Performance. The project was mainly shot on DV, almost 2 hrs. During the performance I shot 4 carts of 200T and 500T, and here's a short sample:

Super8 Ballet sample

Camera: Beaulieu 4008 ZMII

Film: Kodak Vision2 200T & 500T

Lab: AlphaCine

Transfer: CinePost

• Premium Member

I'm surprised nobody has had any questions. Was that all super-8? I don't understand how you got a "one to one" film frame to video frame throughout the entire piece. Wouldn't there be a doubling effect every fourth frame? I advanced you clip frame by frame and none of the frames are doubled, how is that possible?

If that is all super-8, that is some amazing super-8 film negative processing being done by Alpha Cine.

Here's a sample of Vision2 Super8 shot during a live Ballet Performance. The project was mainly shot on DV, almost 2 hrs. During the performance I shot 4 carts of 200T and 500T, and here's a short sample:

Super8 Ballet sample

Camera: Beaulieu 4008 ZMII

Film: Kodak Vision2 200T & 500T

Lab: AlphaCine

Transfer: CinePost

The online sample is all Super8, 24fps, with pulldown removed (reversed telecined). All of it was shot at 24fps except the slow motion scene that was shot at 70fps. The film was scanned directly onto a QuickTime file. By doing a reverse telecine, and conforming to 24fps, one gets back a progressive QT file that contains no frame blending nor interlacing. This is the current workflow at my studio (where post and editing were done) for film projects.

For the DV version, the pulldown on the Super8 film was kept. This simplifies the editing process when mixing small bits of film with SD NTSC material.

I shot almost 10 minutes of Super8 and used most of it in the final cut. The Director of the Ballet School loved the Super8 footage, and many people approached me the day of the shoot to ask what kind of camera was I using and why was I using film. It was really enjoyable.

• Premium Member

I guess I don't understand how super-8 footage shot at 24 FPS can appear to not have any double frames at all unless the procedure you followed is specifically for a certain kind of playback. For instance, reverse telecine will not work on any interlace transmission?

Do you have any sequences in which you cut between DV and super-8?

The clip online is running (playing back) at 24 fps. When it was telecined it was captured into a 29.97 NTSC file, it's at this step that the interlacing and the extra frames are added. For viewing online there's no need to keep the footage telecined, LCD monitors can display progressive material natively. So doing a reverse telecine gives back a true progressive clip without artifacts, and one that matches the negative frame by frame.

• Premium Member
....LCD monitors can display progressive material natively. So doing a reverse telecine gives back a true progressive clip without artifacts, and one that matches the negative frame by frame.

This is what is throwing me off, I am not viewing the image on an LCD monitor. Shouldn't I be seeing either flicker OR a repeat frame every four frames?

That's interesting Alessandro, what type of display are you using to view the clip?

I've uploaded a few frame grabs from the final cut, these show the beautiful grain texture of the original which is somewhat lost, along with some detail, when the clip is encoded for the web (H.264)

Frame Grabs of Super8 Ballet Performance

• Premium Member
That's interesting Alessandro, what type of display are you using to view the clip?

I've uploaded a few frame grabs from the final cut, these show the beautiful grain texture of the original which is somewhat lost, along with some detail, when the clip is encoded for the web (H.264)

Frame Grabs of Super8 Ballet Performance

It's a sony multiscan 500PS trinitron from the mid 90's. Apparently when this monitor cost well over a thousand dollars. It actually has BNC component connectors on it. Maybe the multiscan is set in such a way as to minimize flicker???

I bought it used for 12 bucks and didn't really have to adjust anything, it's an excellent monitor for color correction and contrast work.

It's a sony multiscan 500PS trinitron from the mid 90's. Apparently when this monitor cost well over a thousand dollars. It actually has BNC component connectors on it. Maybe the multiscan is set in such a way as to minimize flicker???

I bought it used for 12 bucks and didn't really have to adjust anything, it's an excellent monitor for color correction and contrast work.

I'd guess that this CRT monitor is displaying a progressive signal from your computer. Normally, one only sees interlacing in SD NTSC monitors while all computer monitors will display a progressive signal.

What exactly is a reverse telecine?

When transferring film to videotape the difference between framerates has to be accounted for. Film is assumed to run at 24 fps and NTSC video at 29.97. This was solved many years ago by adding one frame to the film during the transfer, along with making the material interlaced.

Reverse Telecine removes this extra frame and the interlacing that were introduced during the transfer.

But more to your point, it is a process and can be done either on hardware or software. In my case I use software, Cinema Tools which is part of Final Cut Studio.

Edited by Rafael Rivera