Z7U Used In Movies ??

Roger Smith

did you find that you actually needed it? i mean the dof on the stock z7u is pretty appetizing. and with the lens adapter to take nikon lenes direct one can put a nice 35mm/prime lens and end up with some even nicer dof.

The Z7 has 1/3 Inch sensors so the general dof look is going to be pretty deep. For shallow depth you'd need a dof 35mm lens adapter like the mini35.

The Z7 looks like a nice camera but I think its been overshadowed by the EX1 which is only slightly more expensive and a truly amazing camera, for the price. I'm shooting a feature on one at the moment and its working out great. Right now I would say that the EX1 is the best camera out there for micro budget stuff.

The Z7 has 1/3 Inch sensors so the general dof look is going to be pretty deep. For shallow depth you'd need a dof 35mm lens adapter like the mini35.

The Z7 looks like a nice camera but I think its been overshadowed by the EX1 which is only slightly more expensive and a truly amazing camera, for the price. I'm shooting a feature on one at the moment and its working out great. Right now I would say that the EX1 is the best camera out there for micro budget stuff.

i guess i'd have to say that at the price of SxS cards AND the rolling shutter issue that the ex1 has let alone the unbalanced characteristc of the EX1 when i tried it out, i'd much prefer to stay with the z7 even if for not at least a dozen other reasons :o)

• Premium Member

I find the EX1 weight not to be too big of an issue and for that i have a shoulder mount which is fine for it (and hopefully a letus). As for rolling shutter, I havn't seen an artifact of that yet. . .

But on the other hand, the HDV system is known and proven (and much better for archiving as it's tape based at least).

Still, I'd consider taking an EX1 out and shooting some of the most extreme motion you can, see if you can break it. I havn't yet. But that's just me.

i guess i'd have to say that at the price of SxS cards AND the rolling shutter issue that the ex1 has let alone the unbalanced characteristc of the EX1 when i tried it out, i'd much prefer to stay with the z7 even if for not at least a dozen other reasons :o)

I believe the Z7u has a rolling shutter as well as the Ex1, since they are both CMOS. That said I've not had any issues with the rolling shutter on the EX1 so I doubt it would be a problem on the Z7.

I would agree that the Ex1 is not well balanced for hand holding, its not a deal breaker for me because I don't do much hand held. My biggest problem with the EX1 is the zoom range of the lens is a little short and could do with being able to zoom in a bit further. Ex3 is nice with its shoulder mount but too expensive for me. The SxS cards are a bit of a hassle and I had problems on the shoot today with the card downloads and back up slowing everything down - tapes are easier. But the extra quality is noticeable over standard HDV

Like I said the Z7 is a nice camera but I'm not sure if its being embraced as much as either the Z1 or Ex1, most of the hire companies have big stocks of Z1s and increasing numbers of Ex1's. Z7's are rare as hens teeth in the rental market, I tried to rent one for a shoot a couple of months ago and struggled to find one.

I believe the Z7u has a rolling shutter as well as the Ex1, since they are both CMOS. That said I've not had any issues with the rolling shutter on the EX1 so I doubt it would be a problem on the Z7.

I would agree that the Ex1 is not well balanced for hand holding, its not a deal breaker for me because I don't do much hand held. My biggest problem with the EX1 is the zoom range of the lens is a little short and could do with being able to zoom in a bit further. Ex3 is nice with its shoulder mount but too expensive for me. The SxS cards are a bit of a hassle and I had problems on the shoot today with the card downloads and back up slowing everything down - tapes are easier. But the extra quality is noticeable over standard HDV

Like I said the Z7 is a nice camera but I'm not sure if its being embraced as much as either the Z1 or Ex1, most of the hire companies have big stocks of Z1s and increasing numbers of Ex1's. Z7's are rare as hens teeth in the rental market, I tried to rent one for a shoot a couple of months ago and struggled to find one.

the conditions for the rolling shutter to really present itself is in low light and flash/strobes and we actually ran a test of the ex1 with a hired talent and our z7u and found that if a flash was anywhere in front of the ex1 or if reflected off something, the ex1 produced a rolling shutter that ran anywhwere from a minimum of 28 frames to upwards of just over 70 (don't remember but i think it was 74 or 75 while at that same outting the z7 only produced rolling shutter on two of the 15+ attempts and those two both the camera flash was within 4 feet of the lens (very unlikely event) and no more than 7 frames were affected ~1/4 sec.

we ran these tests because we do gads of wedding and event wherein both low light and flashes are present. so with the same cmos why doesn't the z7u have the exact same affect? we were told (and apparently evidenced) that the z7 came after the ex1 and the problem had been noticed PLUS the z7u has a noise pre-filtering circuit in the analog to digital conversion process and therefore not amplified; that is, the analog is collected, the noise pre-filtering occurs, then the digital conversion takes place, thereby avoiding digitization and/or amplification of noise.

that said, the biggest issues for us (not knowing any of this noise thing but did know of the possibility of rolling shutter) was the card. we had formerly operated with P2 cards and the workflow was killing us . . a gig/min and with our planned three cameras and 5 - 24 min shows of recording, just the storage of all the program content was to be 125gb and then use a render reate of approx. 4:1 or 5:1 (experience) and we'd be looking at 600gb's to do shows and for the most part that's a terrabyte and that means a LOT of space. with hdv we boogie and hardly know it's happenin' let alone the compact flash is a 100 bux for the 16gb x133 and for the price of a smiliar SxS we can record all our tv shows on two or three cards and not worry about transfer but only to final HDD for use AND then we have 15 tapes (3 cams x 5 shows) for back up just in case there was a problem with a card or during transfer.

• 3 weeks later...
the conditions for the rolling shutter to really present itself is in low light and flash/strobes and we actually ran a test of the ex1 with a hired talent and our z7u and found that if a flash was anywhere in front of the ex1 or if reflected off something, the ex1 produced a rolling shutter that ran anywhwere from a minimum of 28 frames to upwards of just over 70 (don't remember but i think it was 74 or 75 while at that same outting the z7 only produced rolling shutter on two of the 15+ attempts and those two both the camera flash was within 4 feet of the lens (very unlikely event) and no more than 7 frames were affected ~1/4 sec.

A rolling shutter from a light flash lasting 2.5 seconds? I've seen it for 1 to 2 frames, but never more than that and don't see how it's even technically possible for it to last longer than that (from a flash) - are you sure you weren't seeing some other issue?

A rolling shutter from a light flash lasting 2.5 seconds? I've seen it for 1 to 2 frames, but never more than that and don't see how it's even technically possible for it to last longer than that (from a flash) - are you sure you weren't seeing some other issue?

It's only the material I was given but not from a Z7 but from an EX1. We HAVE a Z7 and we've only seen 1 to 3 frames affected because of a rolling shutter on a flash but material delivered to us twice now on EX1 (not an EX3 where we've heard it is resolved like on the Z7) about 30 to 70 frames, not sure because we didn't count them all, just looked to be about 1 to 2 seconds of video and we just cut them out and fused the clips and looked like a weird transition that's all.

Only problem therein we've found with the Z7 is focus in low light where it just can find focus and thus in low light you have to run manual and if your moving around a lot like we are it's a bugger. Thus, if we can't shoot it in SD with a DVX100B in 16:9 squeeze and letterbox frame it for HD then we avoid using HD in really really low light. That is, the Z7 works well down to DVX100B levels but below that the Z7 has a lot of focus issues in auto. Also, must shut off macro focus.