Grain-less 16mm for indoor ...

Eric Black

Shot some Vision 3 on my Super 16mm, really like it, the darker scenes turned out great. Daylight scenes are quite grainy.

Looking to shoot on a stock that is grain free in nicely lit indoor conditions (6000 - 7000 watts for a 'regular' sized kitchen scene), under 3200K lights.

Would 100T do the trick, or is that going to need tons more light, how about the KODAK VISION2 200T 7217??

Needing grain free, under lots of 3200K lights.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

No such thing as "grain free" in film. . . all film has grain, nature of the beast. that being said, 50D would have the least grain, but that's a daylight film so you'd have to correct for it and loose light (not to mention 50D needing a lot of light to begin with). Barring that, the 100T is a great stock, but again, may require more light than you have for the stop you want to work at. so here's the 200T. Now, 200T is an amazing stock and I normally bring it for my most versitile one (exposing @200 for int or 125 for ext with an 85 on it). Now, personally I'm fine with grain on the 200T as is. If you wanted to minimize it, you can overexpose and then correct in post which will tighten the grain structure. I'd recommend testing to see if you like the results you get from this (on 200T and 100T probably, just to see which you like more). I'd rate the 200T @ around 125 and the 100T @ around 64.

for totally "grainless," you'd have to go HD. . of course, then you have the noise-floor to deal with.

Your asking a variable question. Can you light 100T with 7000 watts? Sure you can, but you might not be able to if you wanted an ultra soft look. A watt is only as good as the modifiers it goes through. If its uncorrected undiffused tungsten acting as a key, you might be able to get away with that.

If you have an idea of what style and stop you would like to work in, a rough equation can be done based on what you have acheived before. You said you liked the vision 3. IIRC V3 only has its 500T out, 5219. So assume you wanted to replicate looks you have done in that format. If your going for 100T then you must assume at least 2-3 stops more light needs to be used. So if you used 5,000 watts to light a scene, you can (in macro view of the way light works) need as much as 20,000 watts to get a similar look. This isn't always true and you can't set up the same lighting, but multiply every light by 4 and expect it to be the same, but it will give you the ballpark of where you need to be looking. If you might key a scene with a 2K through a chimera for 500T, you might then need a 10K of bounce (since you won't find a 10K rated chimera AFAIK) to get a similar result.

• Premium Member

I would go 200T if I were you. Use nice sharp lenses, avoid wide open, and overexpose it by 2/3 or so. Will it be grainless? No, grainless and 16mm don't go together. Will it look nice and be small, tight grain? Definitely.

If you want grain free.. shoot video.

7217 and 7212 are very similar.. 12 is a tad sharper.. both are fantastic and when lit properly, render very little grain. I have used 7245.. which you could now use 01 or 05 for your interiors... take a tone of lights whether you use hmi's or correct in post... that is as grain free S16 as you can get...

hey guys thanks for the input. yeah sorry i dont mean to say completely grain free, i mean greatly reduced grain from what I am seeing on the 500T stock.

Our format of choice for the project is super 16mm, HD is available (and growing on me), but we are sticking with the look feel (and expense) of film for this one.

Thanks!

hey guys thanks for the input. yeah sorry i dont mean to say completely grain free, i mean greatly reduced grain from what I am seeing on the 500T stock.

Our format of choice for the project is super 16mm, HD is available (and growing on me), but we are sticking with the look feel (and expense) of film for this one.

Thanks!

check out Fuji stocks as well. Eterna 250 and 500 are very fine grained films.