Getting Anamorphic Flares by using a filter

• Premium Member
David et al. What would any of you say the benefit of the 138 round filter is?

None that I can think of, other than getting to use three filters at once while saving 1/4" of space by not adding another stage to the matte box. But if you want to use diopters then you pretty much have to use the round filter slot, unless you can find a square diopter. I've never seen any, but they might exist.

Serge, have you got the streak filter in 4x4? If you do, how much did you get it for? And thanks for the link Adrian, looks like they ship to the UK as well :)

Hey Andrew,

I don't own a streak filter(s) set.

I don't get a lot of call to use them. When I have had the call to use them I just get them hired in.

As for the size of the filter I believe I used a 4 x 5.65, but its been a while so I can't remember exactly.

For the most part, it is counterproductive to use a Pola with a Flare Filter. Getting a Streak Filter in 138mm Round makes sense as that leaves, in the case of a Chroziel, the rest of the 4x5 Trays for 85, NDs, Grads and Diffusion. If 138mm Round is good enough for your Pola, why is it not for other Filters? Most of my Filters are 4x5 but I have a few that are in 138mm Round for good reason.

If you want an "Anamorphic" Flare with Spherical Lenses, Vantage Blue is your only option. The rest are just Two Point Star Filters. The term "Anamorphic Flare" has been used loosely in this thread.

Sent from my IPhone.

For the most part, it is counterproductive to use a Pola with a Flare Filter. Getting a Streak Filter in 138mm Round makes sense as that leaves, in the case of a Chroziel, the rest of the 4x5 Trays for 85, NDs, Grads and Diffusion. If 138mm Round is good enough for your Pola, why is it not for other Filters? Most of my Filters are 4x5 but I have a few that are in 138mm Round for good reason.

If you want an "Anamorphic" Flare with Spherical Lenses, Vantage Blue is your only option. The rest are just Two Point Star Filters. The term "Anamorphic Flare" has been used loosely in this thread.

Sent from my IPhone.

Yeah, i do agree, but i cant seem to be able to find the option to purchase vantage blue, are they for rent only? Anyways, i bought a streak filter for about £2.50, ($5), it was too cheap to pass up. Even if i find the effect rubbish, it doesn't matter as it was so cheap.

Vantage Blue Filters cost $10k (USD)... They are for rent only. If you want an "anmorphic flare" use Vantage Blue. I thought you were shooting Super 35? What's the big deal about renting those instead of a $2.50 piece of plastic?

BTW... Hit 'Add Reply'... Not 'quote'...

Vantage Blue Filters cost $10k (USD)... They are for rent only. If you want an "anmorphic flare" use Vantage Blue. I thought you were shooting Super 35? What's the big deal about renting those instead of a $2.50 piece of plastic?

BTW... Hit 'Add Reply'... Not 'quote'...

BTW...hit 'Edit'....don't double post

• Premium Member

Here's a link to a video I shot with the Vantage Blue anamorphic flare filters (rented through Take 2 Films, London). As mentioned - you see the grid in the filter on the widest lenses (saw it on the 9.8mm on 16mm), so be sure to stay on medium and long-ish lenses. They do work nicely, though. And much better than the older 2-star filters I've used before.

http://www.pulsefilms.co.uk/quicktime/cage_ear.html

Guest Stephen Murphy
I don't really recall the strength, I'm afraid - probaby 2. Shot pretty much at T1.3-2, except for the swing shifts that were a bit underexposed as they don't really open up very well.

Thanks - did you notice much of a difference between the two strengths of the filter at that stop?

Here's a link to a video I shot with the Vantage Blue anamorphic flare filters (rented through Take 2 Films, London). As mentioned - you see the grid in the filter on the widest lenses (saw it on the 9.8mm on 16mm), so be sure to stay on medium and long-ish lenses. They do work nicely, though. And much better than the older 2-star filters I've used before.

http://www.pulsefilms.co.uk/quicktime/cage_ear.html

Very cool vid. I think i saw them play that on Jools Holland the other week? Can i ask what you shot it on, it looks real nice. And as for the anamorphic flares, they look prety sweet too, nice job man.

Edit: That link didn't work for me, but this did: http://www.pulsefilms.co.uk/vid/daryl/cage_oneear.html

Edited by Andrew Clunie