Street lamp at night

Hi all,

Whats a good choice to extend the motivation of a sodium street lamp? I will have a pole/tree bracket to rig a lamp with a baby pin to the wood pole of the lamp. Any ideas to match the CT some light diff maybe? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

• Premium Member
Great ethics Walter... <_<

I've been working on commercials for 25 years. Very common to see many departments buy things for the spots only to have them returned afterward.

As for levels, any of the store bought sodium vapors I mentioned make more than enough light. And considering how ugly that light is, you see it pretty easily.

• Premium Member
<br />Having done this for 25 years myself, I have seen lot's of people do lot's of things... that doesn't make it right.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Right and wrong are subjective judgments. If you don't like it, don't do it. If you feel guilty, keep the light. They are so cheap as its not a problem to buy it and keep it. Maybe even install it around the house. If you want, return it. What you do is your choice. Outside of that, there are many sodium type fixtures out there that cost very little that blow away any combination of gels if you want the real look.

<br /><br /><br />

Right and wrong are subjective judgments. If you don't like it, don't do it. If you feel guilty, keep the light. They are so cheap as its not a problem to buy it and keep it. Maybe even install it around the house. If you want, return it. What you do is your choice. -walter graff

How convenient. Gimme a break... If you buy and use it, it is yours...otherwise someone else is purchasing (in ignorance) a Used Unit. Maybe 'your' subjective morals have no problem ripping people off, however, that does not make it the right thing to do.

Great way to educate upcoming Filmmakers Walt. Are you teaching your 'subjective' morals to your children? I would never tell my kids that is acceptable behaviour. Goodness.

I consider it taking advantage of a store's flawed return policy. If they accept returns, no questions asked, they're already expecting at least half their customers to take advantage of it.

They know it, they live with it, so I'll keep doing it.

btw, Walter, isn't a certain ballast required for sodium vapor bulbs? Do correct me if I'm wrong :)

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

Ya... You are right. It is their fault. I am beginning to see how beneficial making moral decisions 'subjective' can be! Cool idea. On the other hand, maybe this mentality is what has gotten us in the economic crisis we now find ourselves.

This is why we have to pay more for each item. Thanks.

Edited by David Rakoczy

• Premium Member

I won't pretend to be fully moral or fully immoral, but I will say this much. On the one hand, a store with such a return policy is of course partly to blame for the issue. However, at the same time, there's no problem really keeping a light for $40 or so. I mean, how many street-lights will we shoot in our careers? Hell, by keeping the lights you'd save time/gas going to and from the damned store.

Of course productions, people, good and bad, often will buy things, use them, and return them, for myriad reasons; not knowing any better, really unable to afford it, malice, or the like. We can't make moral judgments for others, but we can for ourselves. I try to see good in all people and act understandingly, so; personally I'd not judge anyone harshly for returning a light after use-- I returned a blackberry phone (that i bought on my account for a prop) afterward, and then upgraded to a Treo. Sprint will just repackage/resell the phone after erasing it anyway. . .

As for the current economic crisis. . .(begin kidding) I blame the show "flip that house" (end kidding).

You might feel different if it was your family's business where people were purcasing items, opening them, using them for their end... All along knowing they are going to dump it all back on the counter demanding their money back. Nuance and parce it all you want but it is still just plan wrong. I look for the best in people, try to be empathetic and understanding but this calculated action is inexcusable... Plain and simple.

Edited by David Rakoczy