16mm kinor question

hmc4me

Hi. I just got a k3 and am shooting a few short projects with it but I am already looking for my next camera.

I've been looking at the Kinor.

The only problem I see is that all the ones I've looked at ran at 25fps.

Can this be fixed to run at 24fps? Is it a problem? will I need to purchase a new motor?

Also can it be converted to super 16? How much trouble if it can be?

Thanks

Anthony Collins

• Premium Member

Hi Anthony,

I had my Kinor converted to PL Mount and S16 by Les Bosher in the UK

who did an amazing job, and at a very good price. Drop him an email,

I am sure you will be happy with his conversion.

I have used the camera so far on a few projects without any troubles at all...!

The good points with the Kinor is the camera is very lightweight and

easy to handhold.

Cheers

Sean Morris

• 1 year later...

Dear Sean,

I am planning to do lots of night shooting with available lights. My camera comes with the following lenses: 10-100 zoom, 12-120 zoom, 6 mm wide angle. I was wondering if these lenses are good/fast enough? Do you think there are better lenses out there but for a tight budget?

Many thanks,

Rati

The only problem I see is that all the ones I've looked at ran at 25fps.

Can this be fixed to run at 24fps? Is it a problem? will I need to purchase a new motor?

You might also wanna talk to Mr. Olexandr Kalynychenko. He knows how to modify the original motor so it can run at different speeds.

See link below:

http://www.geocities.com/russiancamera/16m...kinor-16mod.htm

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ole Dost
Dear Sean,

I am planning to do lots of night shooting with available lights. My camera comes with the following lenses: 10-100 zoom, 12-120 zoom, 6 mm wide angle. I was wondering if these lenses are good/fast enough? Do you think there are better lenses out there but for a tight budget?

Many thanks,

Rati

Dear Rati,

I can answer for the question if the lenses are "good". The 10-100mm lens is the russian copy of a Zeiss-lens. It is said to be at least as good as the Zeiss original. The 12-120mm is the russian copy of the 12-120mm Angénieux -and is of a lower qualitiy, as the original.

Best regards,

OLe

You might also wanna talk to Mr. Olexandr Kalynychenko. He knows how to modify the original motor so it can run at different speeds....

If you just tweak the speed pot to slow it down to 24, your pilot frequency will be 48 Hz which is strange and you will have trouble getting your Nagra tapes resolved.

We used to convert Kinor motors to 24, 25, 30 FPS crystal but I am way too busy these days building our TVT-8 video transfer machines to commit to doing any more of them.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Updating the Kinor to S16 PL mount etc..is a very smart investment, also having a PL mount

makes it easy to find lenses etc.. plus the original Kinor mount is let's say fair, not that great.

A friend of mine had his Kinor speed modified with Olexandr and a service, the camera

now purrs, its soo damn quiet, Its a very simple camera to load as well, nothing like the konvas!

Attached is the Les Bosher Conversion.

Cheers

Sean Morris

post-1865-1139141983.jpg

Only from about 20-25mm I think

Hey Sean your Kinor looks sweet. I now have a Brand new Kinor lens for my K3 - it rocks. I also have the wide angle adapter (7.5mm-75mm) Does this reduce any crispness in the image at all?

Edited by stoop

• Premium Member
Only from about 20-25mm I think

Hey Sean your Kinor looks sweet. I now have a Brand new Kinor lens for my K3 - it rocks. I also have the wide angle adapter (7.5mm-75mm) Does this reduce any crispness in the image at all?

Cheers,

Never used one so I can't really comment, Your Kinor lens is a much better choice than the

coke bottle lens the K3 usually comes with, I also did use a lot of pentax lenses (Super Takumar)

when I had the K3 and the results were stunning, super sharp in telecine .

Cheers

Sean

What would be a good and reasonable price zoom lens for pl mount which cover the s16 frame. And what wide angle 8mm and less. I know peleng can be bought with pl mount, but i need more wider lens.

Hello there,

The 10-100 zoom available for the Kinor seems to be very interesting. About the Super 16 covering... Stoop said 20-25mm and Sean, 50mm only. Altough, I saw elsewhere somebody saying 20mm. I don't know what to think... :-) Could somebody confirm the Super 16 covering. Maybe it depends of the lens version ?

Another question, I don't know the Kinor camera at all; how is the mount for this camera ? Can the lenses made for that camera usable on others. Is the Kinor camera mount compatible or close to another one ?

Thanks,

Best regards

Gregory