Pro8mm Contest

Art Leal

Pro8mm just sent me an email announcing their "Think Big, Shoot Small" Contest. It's their version of a "Straight 8" competition where you send an in-camera edited roll, and if you win it gets transferred to Blu-Ray HD using their Milennium Scanner.

Heres the writeup:

The Classic Super8mm Film Challenge

Call for Entries:

The Challenge is simple. Take Super 8 to the next level by shooting a project that will be viewed in HD with gorgeous 1080 resolution!!! Make a short film on a single roll, selecting from any of our 15 Pro8mm film stocks. All editing is done in the camera without splicing. Send the roll back to Pro8mm to be processed and scanned to Blu Ray Disk on our new Millennium II HD Scanner. Entries will be judged by our distinguished panel. It's that easy! The top 25 entries will be screened at a dedicated screening and party in Los Angeles, June, 2009 (exact date and location tba.) Select footage of these films will be chosen for the new Pro8mm DVD Demo which is sent to production companies worldwide.

Here's the punch line:

-Include your Entry Fee of $108.00. We accept Visa, Mastercard , American Express or check.

Wow, maybe they should change it to "Think Big, Shoot Small, Get Jipped". I wonder if they'll clip 25 seconds of lead footage and dry splice a blank negative film leader to make up the difference like they did with the last two rolls I just sent them.

Art,

That's just classic. YOU pay US to build OUR demo reel!

I predict there will be no shortage of entries.

-Fran

In all fairness, I forgot to include this from them:

First Prize: 12 Roll HD Movie Trailer Package

Second Prize: 8 Roll HD Movie Film Package

Third Prize: 4 Roll HD Movie Film Package

Honorable Mention: Several Gift Certificates for HD scanning

But considering it's Pro8, it's no wonder "fairness" slipped my mind.

You guys here in 8 have all the fun. We're just a bunch of STIFFS over there in 16!

But this is interesting and maybe NOT so interesting, when you consider this:

I worked for a major New York ad agency for a number of years (not in film or anything; print production), and the two main award organizations were the Cleos and the Addys (Addies?). Anyway, these organizations were huge, highly respected, but what they did had nothing to do with recognizing quality ad work at all:

It was just a business.

You paid your entry fees (and boy did those agencies pay!), and maybe you got your statue and could then boast about winning.

Hysterically, when the Cleos went bust a number of years back, at their very last ceremony, before it even started, everyone had to leave because they hadn't paid the catering/venue deposit, and waiters were literally pulling the chairs out from under guests and guests were running on stage grabbing and stealing the award statues!

• 1 month later...