Sony PMW-EX3 Camera Information

Andrew Sisnett

Hello,

I have just shot half of a short film with a Sony PMW-EX3, and I had not even had a chance to see/touch the camera until the cameraman showed up on our set the day of shooting. Prior, I did attempt some research about the camera but found difficulty determining the PMW-EX3's effective ASA/ISO setting or finding a menu where I can change that.

I am a student cinematographer and perhaps this is an elementary question, but how do I figure this out on these digital cameras? Without knowing my ASA I had some difficulty determining exposure levels on the set I was trying to light and felt like I had my hands tied the entire shoot. With the director and production crew pushing me to hurry up, I had only inconsistent visual references between the EX3 viewfinder and the monitor output to try the lighting setups.

Not knowing the ASA/ISO impeded me greatly on this shoot and I'd like to know how either determine this value on the camera or whether or not I can change it in camera via the menu system.

Any and all help regarding this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew

• Premium Member

Andrew, the EXs like most video cameras, don't have a singular ASA/ISO. They will respond differently, a bit, under varying conditions. What I tend to do with my EX1, when I had to rate it, was threw up a grey card, looked at the histogram in the viewfinder, and exposed that illuminated greycard to about 50IRE. I then looked at my meter and changed the ISO until i got it close to the Fstop on my lens. Iirc it was about 250 with -3db on the EX1. should be approx the same on the EX3, but double check.

IT'll change, though based on scene content, but it'll give you a rough idea of where you are illumination wise.

Andrew, the EXs like most video cameras, don't have a singular ASA/ISO. They will respond differently, a bit, under varying conditions. What I tend to do with my EX1, when I had to rate it, was threw up a grey card, looked at the histogram in the viewfinder, and exposed that illuminated greycard to about 50IRE. I then looked at my meter and changed the ISO until i got it close to the Fstop on my lens. Iirc it was about 250 with -3db on the EX1. should be approx the same on the EX3, but double check.

IT'll change, though based on scene content, but it'll give you a rough idea of where you are illumination wise.

Great feedback!

I will definitely try this to verify, thank you so much!

And it will definitely change with the gamma your select. Which gamma did you get 250 ASA with?

• Premium Member

A concoction I was messing with for the Letus setup; mostly crushing some blacks down. I believe, though it's been awhile, that it was based off of Cine1 (or 4?).

I Keep meaning to go out and actually run through all the gammas etc with a vectrascope, but no time. For them moment, sadly, camera is locked on "cine 3" for a shoot.

Adam, any idea which of the presets is the best trade off for noise/speed?

• 1 month later...
I got a little confused when they asked me, "what thread size do the lenses have?" what does this mean.

Since you're referring to 35 adapters, whoever asked you that was probably asking the diameter of the EX3's lens, or filter thread on the front of the lens. The EX3's stock lens' thread is 77mm.

Have you looked at the 2/3" to 1/2" adapter? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5760...ns_Adapter.html

I'd prefer that to the light loss and loss of sharpness due to 35 adapter.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

• Premium Member

Adrian with another great response!

• Premium Member

Thank you Walter.

I must add as well that when it comes to getting the most out of the darks in your image, I recommend giving Cine4 a try in the EX1 Picture profiles. It does add some noise in the blacks, but with -3DB it's not too bad, and it also allows you to bring them-- the blacks-- down in post as well as the noise generated therein if/when needed.