Using motion picture film in my Nikon

Hi,

So, I'm pretty sure this as been discussed before. But I'm i got lazy after searching for an hour over the web and not finding anything conclusive.

I just got a few short ends of 5218 and 5219 that I'd like to load into my Nikon F100. I'd like to test different stocks and generally just start shooting still films again (already tired of digital). Don't get me wrong I just shot a music video with the red and I had a great experience.

So here are my questions:

Can I get those stock processed in C-41 chemicals?

I know there is a black backing to take off the film (either before or after processing). Ideally I would do it after processing. Maybe the chemicals will take care of this? How can I take it off?

Could I order ECN-2 chemicals and do it at home?

Does Kodak offer stocks to try out? I'd would be great to compare stocks.

Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks!

• Premium Member
So, I'm pretty sure this as been discussed before.

I just got a few short ends of 5218 and 5219 that I'd like to load into my Nikon F100. I'd like to test different stocks and generally just start shooting still films again (already tired of digital).

The longest thread I recall lately was titled something like "RGB labs Closing" search on this site for those keywords. also "Dale Labs"

Can I get those stock processed in C-41 chemicals?

I know there is a black backing to take off the film (either before or after processing). ... How can I take it off?

Could I order ECN-2 chemicals and do it at home?

The Black backing is removed at the start of the ECN-2 Process. If it is not removed it disolves in the developer, and all the other chemicals leving a black mess, while still mostly staying on the back of the film. It would ruin all the chemicals in a c-41 line.

Folks that do it one shot at home remove the black at the end of the process with a sponge, since they are throwing away the chemcials anyway. the colour will be a bit off if you use C-41. If the black gets on the emuslion, it is likly to stay there BTW.

Kodak does sell kits to make 100 liter (or some simalar quanity- I forget the details - but huge) batches of the ECN-2 Chemicals. some of the ingredients for DYI mixing only come in drums. Also watch the MSDS for the anti-fog if it is still the anti-fog #9 that used to be there.

• Premium Member
DO you know of anywhere in Canada where I can get a really small strip of film processed?

Make friends with your local motion picture lab. Usually a slab of beer will do the trick and they'll add it into a run for you.

jb

• Site Sponsor

Yes

Do not bring motion picture negative stock to a still lab if you ever want them to do anything for you again the carbon backing will foul there whole development process and cause them to hate you. Most smaller MP labs can run this for you and the bigger ones too but the setup fee might be in the thousands...

-Rob-