Kodak B&W Neg IR sensitivity

How sensitive is Kodak Plus-X or Double-X film to infrared light? I assume they are low in sensitivity, however a project i am working on could possibly require infrared lighting and i want to make sure if necessary i am to compensate.

~G

I went onto wikipedia and it said that infrared was 750nm - 1mm in wavelength, and the filmstocks had a sensitivity from 400nm to slightly>650nm, so that would mean the light is beyond the films capacity to expose.

Is this correct?

Ordinary mono film is only sensitive to IR in the sense that you shouldn't get it hot. You can't image it.

B/W IR film is exposed through a deep red filter, to absorb the visible wavelengths to which it is slightly sensitive- those pesky reds around 650-750nm.

• 1 month later...
How sensitive is Kodak Plus-X or Double-X film to infrared light? I assume they are low in sensitivity, however a project i am working on could possibly require infrared lighting and i want to make sure if necessary i am to compensate.

~G

Gregory, These films are not sensitive to IR. I use IR safelighting ( with viewing goggles ) in the lab for all colour and B&W film ( except IR films of course ).

Film that's damaged by heat, is damaged by heat ! not IR.

John S

Edited by John Salim