Old School Angenieux 25-250

Joe Taylor

I have an opportunity to buy an older Angenieux 25-250 (10 x 25 T2.) This is not the Angenieux 25-250 HR but a much smaller and older unit. Everything about the lens is tip-top with pristine glass.

Can anybody tell me anything about this lens or how it would behave on a RED ONE?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I think that is a good lens for "antique look" maybe you don´t need any diffuser filter ;)

Is the lens of some ext shots of Barry Lyndon

IS the lens for many, many films made throughout the 70's ! Come on, guys, this is a classic lens -- definitely not as sharp as something made recently and costing many, many thousand $, but I don't think that was the question, was it ?

A better approach, in my opinion, is how old is the lens (but for that, you have to have done a bit of research in these old and dusty door-stoppers they called Professional Motion Cinematography Equipment back in the last glacial age of cinema, you know, 30 years ago). Since that lens was such a classic, it was made over a couple of decades, and Angénieux glass and mechanics did improve over the period, so a later one is probably better. Here is a rough idea of dates by serial # that I've come up with so far : serials in the 120's go back to the very early 70's, the 130's are mid-70's, and 140's are late 70's or early 80's. This applies to all Angenieux lenses, no matter the type, format, etc.

So if it's in good shape and within the later range of these serials, it's probably decent and worth the price (!), and if you're after a film-look on your HD set-up, you'll probably be happy that this lens does not resolve as well as Angé's new HD lenses. Give it try, and if you're not happy with it, send me a personal message and I'll get it off of your hands !

Enjoy your shoots and stay away from the scarecrows ;-)

• Upvote 1

I've got a question: If you had to choose between an old school Angie 25-250 (say with a serial # in the 120s) and an old school Cooke 25-250 (T4.0, i.e., the MkI edition), which I believe would put these lenses at a similar vintage, which one would you prefer? This would be for use on a Red or similar camera.

And thanks, yes I know that newer versions are much sharper, keep dust out better, yadda yadda.

Thanks in advance.