The "Joker" Hanging out of the Cop Car

To me this has always been one of the most striking shots in the movie, and flipping through the channels today, many shows have played this shot.

I have seen the "Dark Knight" three times now, and I still do not know how, why, or what, the Joker is doing in this scene/shot. I know he has been arrested, but whenever I get arrested, the cops do not permit me open the rear window, most don't open anyhow, and if they did, the cops would beat me and or the Joker with a rubber hose for even trying.

So, is the Joker doing something here or is it just a cool shot?

It's after he escapes, not while he's under arrest. That's kind of the point of the shot. He's taking a cop car for a joy ride, hair blowing in the wind, defying the nature of the structure that is normally used to contain and restrain people.

Mark is completely right.

You oughta pay more attention ;), the scene occurred directly after he escaped the police interrogation cell by triggering a bomb in one of his henchmen (which I think was former prisoner of Arkham Asylum which The Joker seemed to round up most of his goons from) and the man who is driving him away is wearing a stocking over his face (which I doubt a Police Officer would do) thus proving he was escaping and not being taken to jail.

Here is a still from the scene:

joker-cop-car-snapshot2008050411164.jpg

Here is a promotional photo shown prior the movie's actual release date in the extravagant viral marketing campaign that was executed.

joker_car1.jpg

You can clearly see the criminal in that one.

Edited by Marcus Johnston

Guest Tim Partridge

For me, That moment, more than any other from the film, sums up this movie's desire to turn BATMAN into an over rationalised, second rate and fanboyish Michael Mann pastiche. Aside from the obvious HEAT opening sequence, of course. In my opinion.

Give me Mark Hammill and some ink and paint any day.

Probably my favorite shot in the film. It might have had something to do with the sound, too, though. Was this shot IMAX? I cannot recall.

I'd assume it's just standard film, but I can't be entirely sure. I'll have to turn to the DVD and see the aspect ratio.

I'll let you know what I find.

This shot was just about at the point where I thought the movie was going to end in a very dark place and perhaps lead into another sequel (clearly forgetting at this point that Ledger couldn't possibly reprise his role, that's how good he was). It would have been a fine final act, but I'm quite happy with the final final act :)

• 1 month later...

that specific shot is my favorite from the whole movie.. the way the sounds just fades out to him just naturally enjoying all the choas and anarchy he's brought on.. it's really beautiful. Not to mention the fact that it was shot on IMAX and it looks absolutely gorgeous.

For me, That moment, more than any other from the film, sums up this movie's desire to turn BATMAN into an over rationalised, second rate and fanboyish Michael Mann pastiche. Aside from the obvious HEAT opening sequence, of course. In my opinion.

Give me Mark Hammill and some ink and paint any day.

Though I don't agree with you often, I do whole completely on this. None of the films have ever come close to the depth and satisfying tone of the animated series in its hey-day.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was an excellent mixture of drama, action and mystery - with a script far better than any of the live-action features.