Plastic Coated Wire Mesh

Steve London

I've seen a translucent plastic coated wire mesh or screen used to make a rain tent to protect a light. You can just bend it into an inverted V shape and perch it over the lamp. It's like the cello that some cukes are made of and as a kid I saw it used to make pens for small animals. What is that stuff and where do you get it?

TNX

robert,

do a search for New York Wire in the screens, tools and accessories section on the HD website.

Looks like the same stuff.

Gentlemen, I'm all for saving money and buying at the hardware store but I'm not looking for wire screen that lets air through, I'm looking for cello, the same stuff cello cookies are made of. It's screen that is embedded in a sheet of flexible plastic. It's waterproof and I want to use it for rain hats. Harry Box mentions it and lots of grip packages have it on the truck. with help I've learned it's often called celoflex or celoscreen but you find all the variants: two words and cello not celo, etc.

I get real funny looks when I ask for Celoflex, Cello wire, Or any of the variants short of stinky wrap at my local HD. I recommended filmtools because I KNOW it is there.

I would love to be able to purchase it at my local HD for 1/3 the price. Hell I would sell it to productions here for a profit. Ace hardware doesnt carry it.

I have two boxes of it. I might take the box in to home depot to see if they can give me a competitive price.

Steve,

Good luck. you might try the Expendibles Recycler in LA. He has great prices, kinda odd guy to deal with but...

• Premium Member

We buy the rolls of wire mesh. Cut the piece you want as a rain cover. Give it a light spray with WD40. You'll never see any water anywhere near the fixture. And most of the time, because the mesh itself is so small, you don't even need the spray. The laws of fluid dynamics keeps the water out by itself.

We buy the rolls of wire mesh. Cut the piece you want as a rain cover. Give it a light spray with WD40. You'll never see any water anywhere near the fixture. And most of the time, because the mesh itself is so small, you don't even need the spray. The laws of fluid dynamics keeps the water out by itself.

Interesting concept, I have my doubts about a southern storm, Or Frog Choker as some people call it here. And yes we still shoot in it.

The rain comes down pretty hard and heavy here when it comes. so the plastic is important here. We use it on our ballasts and our distro boxes.

Also could be called hogsmesh. At least it is over here in Oz. Very handy stuff.

Also remember to try to protect the lens from exposure to rain as well(especially on HMI Pars). One drop can crack a lens.

Cheers,

Matt.

Edited by Matthew Parnell

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Also could be called hogsmesh. At least it is over here in Oz. Very handy stuff.

Also remember to try to protect the lens from exposure to rain as well(especially on HMI Pars). One drop can crack a lens.

Cheers,

Matt.

I bet an exploding HMI lens is spectacular in a rainstorm. Expensive, but spectacular.

I bet an exploding HMI lens is spectacular in a rainstorm. Expensive, but spectacular.

Not Really It just cracks and falls apart, very unexciting. 12k Par fresnel =roughly $200.

Now a 1k FCM bulb popping over a 20x silk is very exciting. There is a reason new nook lights have a wire mesh screen in front of them.

I used this stuff recently on 2x 1200w HMI's. Worked great, did the trick.

We also used 4 inch wide sheets of saran wrap to wrap around the 60amp bates connections. Very fast and efficient.

We used to use Stretch wrap/ packaging stretch wrap to wrap bates with but it just became Another expendable to have production complain about. It works really well for connectors.

• 4 years later...