Timelapse Calculator

Michael B McGee

• Site Sponsor
Enjoyed the time lapse clips, Robert. Care to share any specifics on what you used (stock, lens, camera)? Always love to see the stars in motion.

Eyemo 5205 maybe 30sec exposure and a three minute lapse?? those were earlier experiments I have better shots done now but not on my laptop.. NCS revolution motor with Nikkors on the Eyemo BTW..

-Rob-

No offense, but whoever is saying or implying that they cannot convert from 18 to 24 fps (3/4 is easy enough for me to do in my head) is an IDIOT.

Just because you're an aspiring cinematographer is NOT an excuse to sleep through 5th grade math, sorry.

As a current/former Palm owner, designing an app. for this stuff is a chronic waste of a freeware programmer's time, just as "tip calculators" are.

My old Psion palmtop had a calculator for that. Was I an idiot for using it? :(

It's really so easy to make mistakes. Mistakes that can cost big money. Designing things so they're idiot-proof is just being sensible.

Anyhows, something I've found useful was my old Pentax Optio SV stills camera. It's just a little portable domestic thing, but it offers shooting at 1/5. 1/10 and 1/20. I've used it to get a rough preview, but I don't see why it can't be used as a poor man's video-assist to get an idea of how a shot went. Eats up batteries in that mode though.

Wat a minute - don't you mean 24 to 18?

:rolleyes:

Which would you be converting from to what if the table starts in 24?

Calculators are only as idiot proof as the people imputing data on them. Until you get the HAL 9000 version of the iPhone or Palm Piolot, you'll have to make sure you're imputing the right info, just like with pen & paper. I make a lot more mistakes with typos than I ever have on paper. You can double-check paper.

Let's stop calling people idiots, okay?

Just because we have a democratic president, whose campaign I supported, doesn't mean I am suddenly going to become politically correct :blink:

BTW, what did you say before you edited your post? :D

:rolleyes:

Which would you be converting from to what if the table starts in 24?

Calculators are only as idiot proof as the people imputing data on them. Until you get the HAL 9000 version of the iPhone or Palm Pilot, .......

....and even then you are screwed! :o

I've got a wonderful book about the making of the film published about 71. Among the gems in it are excerpts of dialog that were cut:

(this is just before the conversation in the pod where HAL reads their lips)

• "Hal, is there something about this mission that you know, which we don't?"
    A significant pause.
    "I'm sorry Dave. Without knowning everything that you know, and everything that I know, and then comparing the two, I can't possibly answer that question."

Totally logical, and a beautiful imagining of how an artificial intelligence might try to be evasive.

And very male, my girlfriend would probably say, and with some validity methinks.

It would all be done in CG these days. Sigh...

p.s. I've been told by admin here to get rid of my spinning cheese - animated gifs aren't allowed. I'm very fond of it :( I'll get 'round to it this weekend.

Hey -- this timelapse thing should be easy. That's why I made the chart.

Of course you want to have a formula to get the interval-- which I put at the bottom. but when you are on location, say in the middle of Times Square, things change. All of a sudden you don't have 8 hours to shoot but instead 5 or 6. If you want the same number of seconds of footage, then you want to make an estimate on the fly.

Also, often DP's have a favorite interval, which I don't understand, which may not work for the particular shot that they want. Remember this is an analog calculator, it works the way our brains do and as such shows a lot of options right next to each other. Good luck.

By the way, this is my old email on the chart. If you want to contact me you can use LSRIECK@GMAIL.COM

Mr. Rieck,

Thank you so much for taking the time to create the Chart... and giving it away for FREE!

We just spent five days in Daytona Beach, Florida shooting time lapse using your Steele Chart. It is indispensable when shooting time lapse.. esp on Film. It is extremely easy to use and the great thing is that at a glance you can see all the various calculations.. at once! You don't have to calculate one option (using your head or using a calculator which still utilizes your head inviting human error) at a time.. write it down.. then calculate the next. With your Steele Chart, you can see, at a glance, any variable you could want. It is fantastic! There were numerous times when we were loosing light or something else was going to happen very quickly and I needed to make a snap decision and with your chart it was a breeze! There were several instances I had to decide my Interval in seconds... and I did thanks to YOU!

Thanks again! I love it!

I sleep with one under my pillow :wub:

Having done several time lapse jobs and now owning my own Norris Intervalometer & Capping Shutter, I look forward to using your Chart again and again.

Unfortunately, it seems you will have to include some batteries and buttons to win some folks over.