Christian Bale as Bill O'Reilly

Marcus Joseph

I'm sure this isn't a universal truth, I've seen a few tantys from DPs and other heads of department including screaming matches between HODs and Directors, Actors at crew, Actors at Directors, etc...

The easiest people to get along with are almost always the Makeup people. A lot of camera people have huge egos.

Yeah that's true. I guess I didn't really mean to say it as a fact, but I have just heard a lot of actors and directors comment on how easy going and hard working the DP's are. I know when I'm on set, the actors get along with me very well, and we'll joke around, but I guess that doesn't prove anything. lol But yeah, I'm sure not all DP's are easy going, I mean just look on here. You'll find a bunch of crabby ones.

Actually, since the audio starts during the tirade and not before it, I would guess that they rolled with the specific intent to record it, very likely at the producers request. It was a rehearsal, not a take, otherwise they would have had video assist of the incident instead of just audio.

Hmm, that's interesting. Man since it was a rehearsel it makes it worse. Geeeeeeze, Christian got that ticked off over a little rehearsal! My oh my.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tim Partridge
It's not a "gimmick" name. McG is his nickname from childhood, much like the way we all call my brother "PJ" even though those are just the initials for his first and middle name. Just thought I'd clear that up. :)

Oh, I didn't realise that we have the president of the McG fan club on our forum. :P ;)

I wonder if Christian Bale knows what the Oz process involves and how you have to light for it?

Great, so like you said before.....YOU can do it, but no one else can. I'm glad you decided to re-iterate exactly what you said before. Very helpful.

I seriously question your reading and comprehension skills. It seems you lack the intelligence to understand that I am saying it is very difficult and takes a long time. I am saying this for the benefit of others, since you are incapable or reading the English language.

R,

This is day one stuff - of course Shane never walked into the scene and ruined it.

The problem is, the only thing anyone has to go on is the recording of Bale's hissy fit. And it that recording, unless my memory is wrong, he definitely says it was the second take - not rehearsal - that he'd walked around in the background of. He also says he's walking around behind Bryce, who happens to be the leading lady, which certainly suggests something a little more serious than tweaking a light during a rehearsal.

But besides all that, after Shane's gallant third apology then the man should know when to accept it. Instead he goes on for another 3 minutes in front of everyone. It's crystal clear who's in fault here.

I don't think anyone has suggested Bale didn't react like a petulant little child, but if his criticisms in that recording are accurate then he does have a legitimate cause for complaint. Not to rant like a spolit 12 year old who's had his Wii confiscated off him, true, but definitely cause to complain.

If I had an actor complain about me walking around in their eyeline during a take (which is something that's never going to happen), I would expect to be fired if I did it again.

The problem is, the only thing anyone has to go on is the recording of Bale's hissy fit. And it that recording, unless my memory is wrong, he definitely says it was the second take - not rehearsal - that he'd walked around in the background of. He also says he's walking around behind Bryce, who happens to be the leading lady, which certainly suggests something a little more serious than tweaking a light during a rehearsal.

Ok well actually, just because he says that he wants to have another take, does not mean that they are shooting, it just simply means that he wants to go over it again. Another thing is that Bryce might have been out of frame, and off the set.

Also if they were actually filming then the director and the cinematographer would have been sitting somewhere watching the shot take place on a monitor. Or the DP would be actually shooting the camera, so there is no way that he would go walking in frame checking lights if they were actually filming. It's just not the way it happens, which leads me to agree with Adam that this was certainly a rehearsal and not the actual shot. I mean there is always the possibility that the filmmakers have no idea what they are doing and will just decide to shoot a shot at anytime without making it known on the set that the camera's running, but I highly doubt that they are that stupid.

Oh btw, it was a little more than just a "hissy fit." He actually threatened to hurt the poor guy, and you could also hear him charging after the DP. So this was definitely an assault.

• Premium Member
And it that recording, unless my memory is wrong, he definitely says it was the second take - not rehearsal

I've been told it wasn't a take by someone I believe.

I mean really, who would really believe that Shane Hurlbut was walking around during a take tweaking a light.? Come on.

I mean really, who would really believe that Shane Hurlbut was walking around during a take tweaking a light.? Come on.

Yeah I agree

I find it hard to believe shane was tweaking lights while the camera is rolling

that doesnt make sense?

Im hoping we hear shane or christain give a more accurate description on what happend soon?

• Premium Member

It sounds like a take was happening, but I don't believe that Hurlbut was actually tweaking anything while a camera was rolling, that doesn't make sense. He may have just gotten up out of his chair to look at something he couldn't see from his chair.

This sort of incident could be damaging to Hurlbut's career for no good reason, simply because it brings up a question. Bale's career will rise or fall based on how successful his movies are. Both Bale and Hurlbut are talented individuals, so that's not an issue. But Hurlbut still has to go out on job interviews in the future and deal with this question of what really happened. Hopefully it will be forgotten soon.

I'm annoyed on the internet to see so many comments like "DP's do this all the f--- time -- they need to be put in their place" and whatnot. I don't think a lot of people understand how complicated our job can be on a big shoot and how many elements have to be dealt with. We have a lot on our minds about this take, the next take, the next scene, the next day, the next week... so it's not unusual for our minds to occasionally wander during a long take.

We do not know the full story or any of the back story.

Perhaps Hurlbut was getting pressure from the 1st AD about being behind schedule and he thought he could save time and tweak a light discreetly off camera during a rehearsal.

At any rate it is very likely that Bale needed a scapegoat for other issues.

• Premium Member
I seriously question your reading and comprehension skills. It seems you lack the intelligence to understand that I am saying it is very difficult and takes a long time. I am saying this for the benefit of others, since you are incapable or reading the English language.

R,

You're a real gem! Your neverending compliments towards me are really wonderful and make me feel great! I'm so glad you bless all of us little people with your presence here. Without you there would be a severe lack of ego, and a severe lack of insults based on nothing. Please never leave! We'd really miss all that great stuff. And I'm obviously too stupid to figure out what all these letters and words are without your constant instruction, so thanks for that. You're the greatest!

Exactly - all we have to go on is a brief audio clip, we have very little information as to what really happened. For example I thought he said 'second-time' instead of 'second-take' and walking around 'in-the-background' could be anywhere (in shot, behind the camera, behind the video village, somewhere else). I'm much more prepared to believe that the DP in this case has got enough set-sense to realise when and how to move about set during a rehearsal or take, and what's really happened is a minor incident that has broke the proverbial donkey backs. But then again he could have been doing something inappropriate, but enough speculating.

I guess a broader question to the group would be how many of you adjust (or tweak) lights during a take?