Stands for a 12K?

Simon Bjork

Hi all,

I'm just putting together some stuff for an upcoming shoot, and I have a bit of a problem. I have a 12K tungsten, and I wanna get it about 5-6 meters up in the air, and as the usual stands are only about 4 meter, I can't use those. (I want to use a stand, not a lift.)

Any idesas?

Thank you!

Tip for heading up large units onto stands: Put the unit on the liftgate of your truck, wheel the stand next to the gate, and two people lift the light onto the stand.

I would NOT use a supercrank stand (as pictured above) to send a T12 up 20 feet (as Simon mentioned, possibly) in anything but the most controlled locations (in a studio, for instance). Maybe you can get a away with 16 feet, I dunno. Just make sure that it's safe, whatever you do. You may also want to look into Avenger's new Long John Silver crank -- really nice piece of equipment. But if you're on a windy pier, for instance, use something else.

-DW

• 2 weeks later...
[The problem is focusing it, even standing on top of a 12 step ladder doesn't do it.

ARRI now makes remote control heads for pan, tilt and focus (spot/flood)

Shameless plug: Licht-Technik GmbH, in Munich, has been making motorized yokes for years. Very reliable and adaptable to most available lamps. All control is DMX-based and can be expanded to barn doors and gels. Prior to ARRI's 18k, all the yokes marketed by ARRI were built by Licht-Technik.