GOMORRAH

Saw the Martin Scorsese released film GOMORRAH. Not a bad film. Tells the inter-workings of a crime family in modern day Naples. Not much action, but the movie definetly takes you into another world.

Camera-wise, I found the camera work annoying. The camera never stop moving, so you had to read sub-titles and hope the steadi-cam shoot stop on something interesting. Usally it did'nt. In my opinion it was amatuerish. When I think of good camera work/movement, I think of Dario Argento's camera work.

But the movie is quite good.

• Premium Member

"kev" you need to go to My Controls and edit your Display Name to a real first and last name, as per the forum rules listed when you registered. Thanks.

--

I just checked the registration page again... the rule is listed first and it's in BOLD:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=00

So I can't figure out why every month we get one or two new people on the forum who miss the rule. I see "kev" joined two years ago, but I believe we had just implemented the rule around then.

I didn't liked the camera work either.

But I loved the print, the low saturated and grainy look, I wonder how did they got all this grain if they shot on 35 mm?

Generally I think the film was a big disappointment for me, I was expecting something better form a film that won first place at Cannes, but maybe Cannes isn't what it use to be.

What I did find impressive in the film is the Acting that was very truthful, it was very hard to tell who is really an actor and who is not.

The locations which they shot were very realistic and gave the viewer a good perspective into the world the characters lives in.

But the film itself as a film is not so good, and once again, it's not about the cinematography or acting, it's the story and the script, and it starts from the basic elements of script writing: structure, structure, structure...

Edited by Oron Cohen

What I did find impressive in the film is the Acting that was very truthful, it was very hard to tell who is really an actor and who is not.

Curious what good acting means to you? Good acting to me is reacting truthfully within a given set of circumstances (the script). I realize there are many views on this trivial point and what is good to one is not to another, but if something was very truthful to you, would that be good?

chris

Edited by Chris Burke

Curious what good acting means to you? Good acting to me is reacting truthfully within a given set of circumstances (the script). I realize there are many views on this trivial point and what is good to one is not to another, but if something was very truthful to you, would that be good?

chris

Hi Chris,

It's too long for me for to answer that question, but in short I can say that sometimes a film can have good acting but the film itself wouldn't be a good film.

Part of the reason for that as I see it is that a film is compose from lots of different Art forms put together, you never watched a film and said to yourself: "wow, it's beautifully shot, the cinematography is awesome, but the film is poop!" ?

But as I said in the beginning of my answer it's more complex than that, and hard to explain through one post on the internet...

Cheers,

Oron.

Edited by Oron Cohen