lensbaby

hello

i was looking to buy a lens for my DSLR D80 Nikon

i am wondering if buying a lensbaby is a waste of money..

has anyone used it before?

http://www.lensbaby.com/lenses.php

thanks

The Lensbaby is a lot of fun. For its fairly inexpensive price you can get some pretty cool organic looking effects. I bought one last year and had Panavision put a Pana mount on it and we have used it on both the Millennium and Genesis on Smallville several times.

• Premium Member

Glen, just curious as you went through this before; would it be possible do you figure to PL mount it? I know you went with a PV mount but IIRC they're roughly the same Flange Focal Dist, 57 and 52 abouts. Just wanted a brief opinion if it's worth further looking into.

It is a fun, cheap gadget.

Keep in mind that the v2 Lensbabies do not allow you to lock the lens in a position, so you'll need to manually bend and hold it for your shot. It requires some finger strength and patience. I think the v3 lets you lock the lens after setting it.

• Premium Member
hello

thanks

Hi Shubham,

The Lensbaby look gets old really fast. Just my opinion, probably because it seems like every other photographer at the Los Angeles Times has been using one for the last year. :) BTW the PL mount version isn't all that cheap.

-Fran

Hi Shubham,

The Lensbaby look gets old really fast. Just my opinion, probably because it seems like every other photographer at the Los Angeles Times has been using one for the last year. :) BTW the PL mount version isn't all that cheap.

-Fran

well it would still be considered the funkiest lens in India.. lol

yes, PL is for 480$

i was wondering how does it work in film cameras, i would love to see the making of the butterfly

For still photography the lens baby composer is absolutely worth the money. Can use it for any type of photography. Plus you can put it on the Red with the C-mount front. Also I love the lens baby that come PL mount. Great for music videos, macro, or effects work.

Best

I've used the Lensbaby on both my Canon DSLR, as well as a PL-mount version that I just finished a feature with. Love the lens system, but I think it works way better with a mo-pic cam, as all of the great kinetic effects you'd usually see while setting up the still frame, er, get captured. Lots of fun, and a great tool that will probably get overused too soon…

The only note I have for shooting this way is to make sure you get DSC charts on both the lensbaby and your standard lens set for each setup. The LB will not match most lenses, and while I've found the optics to be adequate for what a simple system it is, you really need to give yourself the room to correct the lens in post.

BTW Adrian (and any other East Coast fellows) -- I'd be happy to supply the PL-mount Lensbaby to any interested productions…

Hi,

I bought a Lens Baby after watching Kaminski's 'Diving Bell' and thought it would be the best thing in the world. I used it for about one or two months all the time but then it just became too cumbersome. It was a lens, like any tool, that has it's specific job for a specific look and for the reasonably low price it's worth it for your toolbox.

You will never travel with it - it's really hard and so many adapters to shoot something (fixed focal with a wide and telephoto and macro), manual aperture input makes it difficult to shoot quickly and the fear of losing these key objects is kinda scary.

You can get some beautiful images IN CAMERA rather then trying to achieve it in POST. Have Fun.

Regards, James.

• Premium Member
BTW Adrian (and any other East Coast fellows) -- I'd be happy to supply the PL-mount Lensbaby to any interested productions…

I'll definitively have to take you up on that sometime when I find a shoot calling for it (or just to play 'round).

• 6 months later...
hello

thanks

I was once preparing for a special shot for a feature with swing&shifts. We tested arri and clairmont and decided to take arri. But when we were about to leave panavision the technical manager there told us that we could also try some "toy" Janusz Kaminski brought to PV Poland (at least that's what we were told). We tried this out.. and decided that it was just enough for the couple of shots we had to do. Kaminski's name always works good for polish cinematographers;) ...and setting the apperture on lensbaby is so much fun! We tested the PL version, v3 i suppose as we were able to lock the position easily.

Though I would rather reccomend buying it rather than renting. It's cheaper way;)

Chris