Time Spent Studying Others' Works

Andy O'Neil

Sometimes I feel bad investing much time studying other people's work. I feel like it's a form of procrastination.

I was watching "Saving Private Ryan," and I had the urge to start a scene breakdown of the movie. Shot number, Shot size, Shot duration, Static or Moving, Handheld/Steadicam/Dolly/Track, etc., Purpose of Scenes in one or two sentences...

I did this with "Pulp Fiction." I invested maybe 8 hours. I now have a nice illustrated breakdown of the movie with graphs, and color indicators. I also have a better sense of the movie's rhythm, act structure - it really allows me to get a broader perspective on the story structure. It was illuminating in some regards: I picked up on certain patterns and saw three "choices under pressure," which revealed character (thanks McKee).

Do you do this?

What percentage of your time do you invest?

What did you get out of it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by Andy O'Neil

I try to watch a lot of movies but never analyze them too much. I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that, but I think I'm more influenced by the "feel" of a movie than the more particular details.

Of course, I'm not a very good cinematographer, either.

I'd love to read your time-travel script -- sounds pretty wild. If your offer is still good, e-mail me a copy to: chance@crewless.com

Thanks...

- - - - - - - - - -

Chance Shirley

Birmingham, Alabama

• Premium Member

Andy, you should read Barry Salt's book "Film Style & Technology: History & Analysis" -- this guy takes a stopwatch to hundreds of movies and cuts the numbers of cuts, etc. and then puts them on charts to show you the average cutting rate in the 20's, when sound arrived, by the later 30's, in Hawk's movies, etc.

My "research" in watching movies at home is rather sporadic and all over the map. For example, I just watched the new Criterion DVD or "Slacker", finished watching the new "Star Wars" DVD's, and then watched most of "Murder on the Orient Express" followed by the behind-the-scenes documentary on "Tess" just to get my Geoffrey Unsworth kick...

I did go through a period where I used to watch a bunch of movies under one theme, like the time I watched almost every Hitchcock ever made after reading the Truffaut interview book, but I was much younger then.

I tend to RE-watch movies on DVD in small chunks, or partially on fast-forward, to remind myself of the flavor of the movie. I think I've rewatched the first half of more movies in my collection than the second halves.

As research for a specific project I'll watch a bunch of movies if I have time, sometimes to show director stuff, sometimes because they request that I do.

I've never analyzed them too closely, preferring to use repeat viewings as a way in ingraining the shot sequence, style, etc. Although many times I've used the slow-motion function to double-check something, more in the behind-the-scenes docs where I'm trying to read the labels on the cameras and slates.

I think breaking down a scene or two is a valuable time investment- as long as you learn from it.

Same with this forum, is surfing the internet a good use of time? I think most people on here would say yes, since we all do learn from each other (or at least from Rhodes & Mullen).

I don't really have the time anymore to "invest" into a movie breakdown, but I've been amazed at how much scenes do break down- how close in the shot is as compared to the dialogue.

There are two things I normally try to get from a movie when I'm analyzing it: One is learn what they did, how they did it, and try to reproduce it. Second is experiment and see if I could do it better.

For me it's great in order to solve problems or for inspiration. It's a way to learn the craft. I 'steal' from the best by watching dvd's all the time. You would be foolish not to. As long as it's not an hommage or out of admiration - but to solve specific problems.

Kubrick, Spielberg and other hot-shots didn't invent cinema. They had talent to begin with but learned the craft from watching other filmmakers they admired at the time they started out. They didn't invent the wheel.