LCD Monitor/Graphics Card issue

Michael B McGee

i know this may seem like a very easy question to some of you, but not to me and hopefully not to others struggling with the same issue. the footage from my Sony EX1(1080P HQ) looks like crap on my computer LCD monitor. is doesn't matter if i'm viewing it in the Sony Clip Browser or in Adobe Premiere. it just looks awful. why is this? here's my computer specs if it helps decipher or explain the reasoning:

Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Core2 Quad processor Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz 8mb cache

3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800Mhz

128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro

22" Flat Panel 1680x1050

ok, i'm pretty sure its the video card. can someone recommend a video card can handle playing 1920x1080 video and make it look like its HD? i hear the memory is important, ie: 512MB. i think the interface is key as well, ie: PCI Express x16 or x16 2.0.

thanks in advance.

-Mike

• Premium Member

How do you mean "looks like crap?"

I have noticed that when you're shooting 24P/60i it can look jaggy. But it could just be a calibration thing on your monitor. Unless your playback is jumpy it's probably not a computer issue.

You mention 1080P/HQ, but what about your picture profile etc?

Does playback through the camera onto a TV look just as bad, and if not, how do they differ in look?

Any chance you can quickly export a few screen grabs, or even a full quality clip?

How do you mean "looks like crap?"

I have noticed that when you're shooting 24P/60i it can look jaggy. But it could just be a calibration thing on your monitor. Unless your playback is jumpy it's probably not a computer issue.

You mention 1080P/HQ, but what about your picture profile etc?

Does playback through the camera onto a TV look just as bad, and if not, how do they differ in look?

Any chance you can quickly export a few screen grabs, or even a full quality clip?

i know its not the camera. the footage looks great on an Apple display and on a LCD/Plasma via the component out. on my computer the playback isn't jumpy it just looks like SD footage not HD. screen grabs aren't possible right now.

thanks.

• Premium Member

Do you have the monitor window options set low in Premiere? I don't know about the sony software, but you're probably just using a preview-quality display option somewhere.

What happens if you cut a timeline and export it back to the camera, or play it out via the camera onto another monitor?

P

What happens if you cut a timeline and export it back to the camera, or play it out via the camera onto another monitor?

P

playing via the camera to a LCD/Plasma 720/1080 monitor looks amazing!!!! already stated this in the thread above yours, but to reiterate it looks very good.

thanks,

Mike