Ektachrome 7242 home processing - possible???

Yes, I know this subject has been beat to death. But I don't think all questions have been answered.

I have acquired a roll of Ektachrome 7242. I know this is really ancient stuff i.e. 1960-70.

I know this is a ME-4 process or something like that. This process has some sort of a pre hardener before the first developer. This is to prevent the emulsion from turning into jello and falling off due to 100f temps.

What I want to know, is it possible to formulate that pre hardener and then use it before E6

chemicals to finish the process?

If so does someone have the recipe for that hardener?

Also another question along similar lines. Are Ektachrome 7251/2 films VNF-1 films?

Is VNF-1 close enough to E6 to work? Will it stand up to the elevated temps?

Thanks

Edited by Dennis Goble

You're a student who is going to mix from scratch an obsolete 9-step, temperature critical color reversal process?

ME-4 is so old that your best bet would be color negative development and extreme overexposure if you don't want a grainy, flecky, fogged-out mess.

First thanks Karl for the response. :lol:

No I don't want to reproduce the e4 chemistry. Some of those chemicals look pretty nasty. ;-(

What I want to know is will the modern E6 chemistry work with E4 film if I use a prehardner.

Lastly second (totally different) question, how well will the standard e6 process work with vnf1 films?

Edited by Dennis Goble

First thanks Karl for the response. :lol:

No I don't want to reproduce the e4 chemistry. Some of those chemicals look pretty nasty. ;-(

What I want to know is will the modern E6 chemistry work with E4 film if I use a prehardner.

Lastly second (totally different) question, how well will the standard e6 process work with vnf1 films?

IDK about ME-4 in E-6. Even with prehardener, you will have to tweak the two developers a little bit to compensate for different color characteristics. That's assuming you won't be dealing with age fog. You will be.

Also, unlike neg., where you can make up for a lot of it in printing or digitally, by just over-exposing, you can't really deviate from the standard EI of reversal film without a push or pull and get a usable image.

For a seasoned professional, that is a difficult set of variables to coordinate. For a student, no offense, it will be nigh near impossible to pull off.

Honestly, I'd recommend some sort of special pre-hardened ECN-2 (color negative) process if you have your heart set on using old film. And you'll have to clip test all of it.

Honestly, I'd recommend some sort of special pre-hardened ECN-2 (color negative) process if you have your heart set on using old film. And you'll have to clip test all of it.

I can't imagine any lab wanting to go near me4 film tho.

It might be possible to try and process it at home in c41 with some kind of trick, or probably the best bet would be to cross process as black and white neg but either way I wouldn't expect great results ME4 is best avoided.

love

Freya

Ok thanks for all the help.

I did get a reply from someone at film rescue international.

quote:

Hello

Yes we can. A variant of ME-4 designed to increase contrast

All the best

Greg

So I guess one lab is offering to try. They haven't replied as to the cost.

You are all probably right. Just a 400ft roll of leader. Bad leader at that :P

Complete waste of time. I processed tens of thousands of feet per day in ME4 until VNF1 process replaced it. Just buying the ingredients (minimum quantities sold) to make up the prehardener will cost you more than buying a fresh roll of brand new negative stock AND having it processed professionally.