Aaton

Jase Ryan

I just shot a music video on a Aaton LTR s16m camera. Everything went well for the video because we were not recording sound but this camera, which is supposed to be ultra quiet wasn't. The coaxal mags we're noise as hell. I'm shooting a short soon on that again and am worried about the sound. Someone told me theres nothing that can be done since it's coaxal... but this sound is not acceptable.

Is there anyway to make this sound go away?

Thanks.

• Premium Member
Is there anyway to make this sound go away?

Thanks.

Yes, it's called an overhaul.

I used to own an Aaton LTR Super 16 camera and it was as quiet as a mouse. The only Super 16 camera that I ever used that was quieter was the new Arriflex 416. If your Aaton or the mags are making noise, then the camera is in need of an overhaul.

Best,

-Tim

It would help if you could pin down which part of the mag(s) is causing the noise. It could just be dished film rubbing the sides. However, it's unusual that all the mags are noisy, usually you find one is a bit more noisy than the others. It would be worth getting the camera checked over by a camera servicing technician.

Although, if it's a noisy as hell, it does sound rather like the clips holding the film core in place haven't been sprung open again and the film roll is rattling around on the centre.

Using a barney does reduce any mag noise on the Aaton usually to the point you can't hear it unless it's a noisy load.

Someone told me theres nothing that can be done since it's coaxal... but this sound is not acceptable.

The Aaton LTR is an older camera, older than me in fact! All sound 16mm camera's (that i know off) are coaxal, you just need to get someone to look at it, its probably worth having the whole thing looked at as well...