Another Place which will process Kodachrome?

I found this site today:

http://www.fotostation.co.uk/Old_Film_Proc...C22_120_110.asp

Never heard of them before but they claim to process 8mm and 16mm Kodachrome (although it seems quite pricey).

In the movie section they state K14 but on the main page they mention they can do K-11 (maybe just for stills).

I had a look at their sister-site which mentions they use the 'very best Swiss Processing'.

Do they send it to Dwaynes or is it the old lab in Lausanne?

edit:

the k11/12 seems to be just for 120/220 film

it mentions that it can take 2-8 months for the k40 cine film

here's a direct link to the site (which seems based in the uk according to contact details)

http://www.oldfilmprocessing.com/

They're evidently consolidating orders over months so they can send a bulk order off to Dwaynes.

Dwaynes have the only cine processor for K14. There just isn't one in someone's garage in Ruislip. It's not a bathtub sort of process.

Dwayne's only charge ten bucks, so the prices are pretty steep at £40.

They're evidently consolidating orders over months so they can send a bulk order off to Dwaynes.

Dwaynes have the only cine processor for K14. There just isn't one in someone's garage in Ruislip. It's not a bathtub sort of process.

Dwayne's only charge ten bucks, so the prices are pretty steep at £40.

I'm aware of the process.

I emailed them and this is what they replied with:

"We do it too. However, Dwaynes in USA are the only offically recognised company.

Thanks".

Probably not too suprising as Dwayne's don't have the only cine processor for k14. There were quite a few mentioned on the old mailers so it may be that someone has managed to get the chemicals from Kodak and get one of the old ones up and running.

I'm sure I remember that Dwaynes are not officially recognised by kodak for cine film, only stills. Anyway...

The website did mention 'Swiss Processing' so they may have the old one from Laussanne.

Yes, it is very expensive compared to Dwaynes.

I think in the past Kodak tried to make the process more widespread by sending out small kodachrome machines to independent companies but it was still too difficult to get decent results

• Premium Member

quoting Grant here ''I'm sure I remember that Dwaynes are not officially recognised by kodak for cine film, only stills. Anyway...''

My understanding is Dwaynes is kodak certified for 16mm kodachrome cine processing, but not super 8 ( cartridge ), so Dwaynes must be reconised by kodak for cine processing....

quoting Grant here ''I'm sure I remember that Dwaynes are not officially recognised by kodak for cine film, only stills. Anyway...''

My understanding is Dwaynes is kodak certified for 16mm kodachrome cine processing, but not super 8 ( cartridge ), so Dwaynes must be reconised by kodak for cine processing....

Dwaynes are recognised ( ...but doubt they are certified ) by Kodak for K-14 processing.

The results I've had ( and seen ) were terrible. 35mm slides with drying marks, dirt and in card mounts with rounded corners ! ....and 8mm with very 'strange' results ( albeit from out of date stock ).

Films sent to Kodak / Switzerland are forwarded to the US then returned ( via Switzerland ).

Kodak do not now include the processing price for cine film, but costs are included for 35mm slide films ( participating countries ).

Eastman Kodak DID make and sell 'small' K-14 processors and chemicals but didn't have much take up on this product ( as it's a VERY difficult process and required a lot of film throughput to keep in control ).

John S

I sent two 100ft 16mm rolls of Kodachrome to Dwaynes a couple years ago, and they looked perfect when I projected them. The footage shot tungsten with Ziess lenses on an SR3 looked gorgeous. The roll shot on my old bolex with an old switar lens, and an 80A behind the lens gel (shot in daylight), looked desaturated, but no damage either.

Edited by Steve Zimmerman

• Premium Member
Dwaynes are recognised ( ...but doubt they are certified ) by Kodak for K-14 processing.

The results I've had ( and seen ) were terrible. 35mm slides with drying marks, dirt and in card mounts with rounded corners ! ....and 8mm with very 'strange' results ( albeit from out of date stock ).

Films sent to Kodak / Switzerland are forwarded to the US then returned ( via Switzerland ).

Kodak do not now include the processing price for cine film, but costs are included for 35mm slide films ( participating countries ).

Eastman Kodak DID make and sell 'small' K-14 processors and chemicals but didn't have much take up on this product ( as it's a VERY difficult process and required a lot of film throughput to keep in control ).

John S

Perhaps you should look at Dwayne's home page if your worried they are NOT kodak certified

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/history.html

then read thru this

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?sh...p;hl=kodachrome, scroll down to the 2nd post in the thread, no mention Dwaynes are not kodak certified for 16mm, Dwaynes were not kodak certified for super 8, a known fact among regular users of kodachrome film....

I still use Dwaynes for double super 8, double 8 and 16mm kodachrome processing along with k64 slides, processing quality is excellent....

Perhaps you should look at Dwayne's home page if your worried they are NOT kodak certified

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/history.html

then read thru this

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?sh...p;hl=kodachrome, scroll down to the 2nd post in the thread, no mention Dwaynes are not kodak certified for 16mm, Dwaynes were not kodak certified for super 8, a known fact among regular users of kodachrome film....

I still use Dwaynes for double super 8, double 8 and 16mm kodachrome processing along with k64 slides, processing quality is excellent....

I'm glad your K-14's are good Andy, I have to say I wasn't impressed with what I saw.

There needs to be the highest quality processing for Kodachromes otherwise what's the point eh ?

John S