Marking on Ice

I am assisting on a Mini Series that takes place on a hockey rink, we have been using regular colored markers (often smelly markers) on the ice as marks. They have been great, only problem is that the ink really sinks in deep into the ice and it's really hard to scrape it off. Anyone have any suggestions for something that is a bit easier to remove?

Perhaps some chalk powder would work. It probably wouldn't sink into the ice (probably a little, but not as much as ink), and if the ice melts around it, it'll most likely just clump up and be easy to scoop away.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-47-804-8-Oun...792&sr=1-20

I don't know for sure, but it could be worth a try.

• Premium Member

Perhaps, if possible, make up some cardboard markers with colored tape and see if you can secure it into the ice with a small tack/nail, then you just pick it up and go?

I'll be in a similar situation this October on a shoot, a mockumentary on hockey moms, so I'm interested in any ideas.

I am assisting on a Mini Series that takes place on a hockey rink, we have been using regular colored markers (often smelly markers) on the ice as marks. They have been great, only problem is that the ink really sinks in deep into the ice and it's really hard to scrape it off. Anyone have any suggestions for something that is a bit easier to remove?

Use Bingo Dabbers. They come in different colors and the marks don't sink into the ice.

Gareth Roberts

• Premium Member
I'd take some rubber matting and make some little T marks and stick a thumbtack through them.

I don't think putting any kind of marks that could trip an actor while on ice are a great idea. Just a thought.

I'd use hard marks for that. Go to a hardware store and purchase some metal framing Ts. Then wrap them with camera tape in different colors. The Ts have holes where you can secure them to the ice with a small tack or nail, but because they are metal they usually stay put, and they are thin, so people don't bump into them as much as the sandbag style Ts. I have a small loop of rope attached to my hard marks, so I can have a whole set hanging from a hook on my cart or belt. Another plus, the framing Ts cost $3.50 ish where the filmtools sandbag Ts cost $15. And you can change the color at any time with a bit of camera tape.

• Premium Member
I'd use hard marks for that. Go to a hardware store and purchase some metal framing Ts. Then wrap them with camera tape in different colors. The Ts have holes where you can secure them to the ice with a small tack or nail, but because they are metal they usually stay put, and they are thin, so people don't bump into them as much as the sandbag style Ts. I have a small loop of rope attached to my hard marks, so I can have a whole set hanging from a hook on my cart or belt. Another plus, the framing Ts cost $3.50 ish where the filmtools sandbag Ts cost $15. And you can change the color at any time with a bit of camera tape.

If you wanted to use those on ice you could stick some traction tape for stair treads on them.