Who makes Red Digital Cinema Pro Prime lenses

Does anyone know who makes the Red Digital Cinema Pro Prime lenses. I haven't seen these out in the field before. The only time I used them was for a seminar about a year ago, and there was some debate as to makes them, because they were fairly new at the time and RED wasn't saying who made them. I was saying Sigma because frankly they feel so light and the coating is that brownish, yellow which looks like the Sigma zooms that come with those Canon DSLR packages. But does anyone have a link to a site that explains it or any type of information? Just curious to know. Thanks all!

• Premium Member

I would assume the RED lenses are much like Mac computers, designed by RED and then assembled built over in China (probably) from available parts. That being said I have heard the Sigma idea, but never an actual admittance of who makes what parts of which for either the lenses or the camera itself.

• Premium Member
Does anyone know who makes the Red Digital Cinema Pro Prime lenses. I haven't seen these out in the field before. The only time I used them was for a seminar about a year ago, and there was some debate as to makes them, because they were fairly new at the time and RED wasn't saying who made them. I was saying Sigma because frankly they feel so light and the coating is that brownish, yellow which looks like the Sigma zooms that come with those Canon DSLR packages. But does anyone have a link to a site that explains it or any type of information? Just curious to know. Thanks all!

Hi,

The original 18-50 was a sub prime conversion of a sigma lens.

The Pro Prime lenses are very different & have not shipped in any great no's yet. Made in Japan but by who?

Stephen