looking for 1st AC, where to start?

Ian Coad

as a grad student prepping for thesis, i am without my usual 1st due to scheduling conflicts. as this will ideally be a 35 mm, anamorphic, sometimes low light and at some points long-lens-oriented show, i know that we will need to pay for the reliability of someone with experience. the problem is i don't know where to begin looking and more specifically, in a realm of people willing to accept graduate thesis level pay. any suggestions?

Edited by ian coad

• Premium Member
Helps to know where you're located and then perhaps some of us on here can recommend 1ACs we've worked with, and or know of good places to look/post when looking to hire a 1st.

This would be an excellent way to start.

Apologies, perhaps this helps: Chapman University is south of LA by about 40 min in Orange, CA. However, the project is aiming to shoot in Seattle from Oct. 31 to Nov. 8, 2009.

• Premium Member

Quite alright and no need to really apologize. I personally don't know anyone out on that coast to recommend but I'm certain you can find some folks on here from the area, if not you can always post on mandy/craigslist and see what you get.

Quite alright and no need to really apologize. I personally don't know anyone out on that coast to recommend but I'm certain you can find some folks on here from the area, if not you can always post on mandy/craigslist and see what you get.

Most camera rental facilities can supply you with the names of 1st AC's that they work with.

I would go that route before Craig's list if I could not get a recommendation from someone whose opinion I trust.

I am a recent film graduate and very experienced in the camera department. I would be happy to talk more with Ian about the project. I currently live in Seattle. Do you know Barbara Doyle, a teacher at Chapman? She could tell you more information about me. My email is danielholmes3@gmail.com shoot me an email and I can send you resume, reels, etc. Thanks