which size light stands?

andrew dean

I picked up some cheap 8' chinese stands that are ok, but i discovered on the first shoot that 8' is just too short. I think i'd like the option to go up to closer to 12' and something far more stable.

If you were purchasing "hollywood grade" stands for a kino diva, a 575w hmi fresnel, 150w hmi fresnels, blondes and redheads, what stands would you migrate towards? (i dont know all the nomenclature, but combos? hi-hi? baby?)

I realize this is kind of an obtuse question since you'd use different stands in different scenarios, but what if i phrased it like this... "i'm heading back to the lighting truck to grab stands for a diva, some 4 and 5" fresnels and a couple blondes... the dp hasn't specified what the shot is yet and we are behind schedule. which stands do you want me to grab?"

And also "i'm running to the truck to get stands for an 8x8 overhead. What stands do you want?"

Thanks for your input!

• Premium Member

Hi Andrew,

for a good all-around stand for small to medium size lights I use the Manfrotto/Bogen 004. I put 2k open faces on these all the time, albeit not at full extension and sandbagged if need be. The bummer is that Manfrotto has stopped making these stands and is moving on to the so called Stacker stands...

For anything heavier I wouldn't use either of these... I have an assortment of heaver steel and alu stands for that kind of job.

Cheers, Dave

Sorry, but you won't see anything by Manfrotto/Bogen holding up lights or overheads on a "hollywood grade" film set. The only thing made by Manfrotto/Bogen you'll see on a decent sized film set is perhaps a magic arm holding an onboard LCD monitor to the camera.

For 12' height, and if you want to put overheads up outside in any situation where there is wind, AND to be safe and feel "hollywood grade," get triple riser combo stands:

http://www.filmtools.com/msehocotrri3.html

These are the industry standard. You can also use beefy-babies (light stands) for not-as-high or less secure applications, and c-stands for smaller frames indoors.

-DW

Sorry, but you won't see anything by Manfrotto/Bogen holding up lights or overheads on a "hollywood grade" film set.

-DW

Over here in Australia and New Zealand Manfrotto/Avenger/Arri stands are the standard on most sets.

Unfortunately Mathews, American Grip, Etc don't have much market penetration over here. So there hasn't been that much choice in the matter. That's starting to change with a number of equipment dealers importing the gear now, but if you head to most stand trolleys over here, whether it be on a $200m US feature or a $1m Indie 99% of the time 90% of the stands are Avenger/Manfrotto/Arri. On a lot of the trucks I work on a large proportion of the hardware is Mathews/American Grip.

Unless I can find a nz dealer that doesn't think their gear is made of gold, I'll be ordering from the states, so brand loyalty isnt that big a deal.

So what I'm hearing is: for an overhead, get a pair of MSE triple riser combo.

And for all the lights, get manfrotto 004, which are discontinued.

Any other suggestions for stands for the lights (that are still available)? Hoping for something nice and beefy but not any heavier than necessary.

Thanks, mates!

You can't go wrong with some double and triple riser, beefy baby stands. Great for outdoors, a little clumsy in a small interior. Norms, Matthews, American grip, etc. Great for flags as well, but I would not try to fly a 6x6 butterfly from one.

Edited by JD Hartman