Arriflex Angenieux 12-120 Coverage?

Okay I recently picked up a used Brevis 35mm lens adapter for my HDV camera. The adapter came with a nikon mount and also has a PL mount. I've used Nikon and Canon SLR lenses with my adapter. I wasn't really planning on trying PL lenses, but since I got a good deal on the adapter with the mount, now I've been contemplating getting a PL lens or two.

Looking around I happened to find a local place (Cleveland) that has some lenses. One is a Arriflex Angenieux 12-120/2.2 listed as a type 10x12B. I emailed the place and got a reply that it is an arri standard mount and that it will cover 35mm. I know I would have to then buy a PL adapter to mount it on my Brevis.

My first question is, can anyone confirm that the lens would cover 35mm therefore work with my Brevis? I couldn't find much info online about the lens, but the little that I did all mentioned it for 16mm cameras. Also is there any reason why an arri standard to PL adapter would not work to adapt that lens to the PL mount Brevis?

Last question and I know there's factors involved, but what would be a decent price on one of these lenses in good condition?

• Premium Member
Looking around I happened to find a local place (Cleveland) that has some lenses. One is a Arriflex Angenieux 12-120/2.2 listed as a type 10x12B. I emailed the place and got a reply that it is an arri standard mount and that it will cover 35mm. I know I would have to then buy a PL adapter to mount it on my Brevis.

My first question is, can anyone confirm that the lens would cover 35mm therefore work with my Brevis? I couldn't find much info online about the lens, but the little that I did all mentioned it for 16mm cameras. Also is there any reason why an arri standard to PL adapter would not work to adapt that lens to the PL mount Brevis?

Last question and I know there's factors involved, but what would be a decent price on one of these lenses in good condition?

I don't think the 12-120 Ang. covers 35mm -- it doesn't even cover Super-16 as far as I know. Unless this is some other Ang. zoom made for 35mm with those focal lengths, which would start rather wide-angle at 12mm.

Also, is the groundglass in the Brevis 35mm cine / Super-35... or is it Full-Frame 35mm (still)? Because generally only still camera lenses would cover the FF35 groundglass, with a few exceptions. I guess if they put a PL-mount on it, it must be 35mm cine in size but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that it wouldn't work. The site deals mostly with used still photography equipment, but they have a page with some cameras and lenses, but I'm assuming they're not as well versed in the ins and outs of the arri stuff. I've emailed a couple of guys in my area to find a place to rent some PL's, but haven't had any luck yet.

• Premium Member
Also, is the groundglass in the Brevis 35mm cine / Super-35... or is it Full-Frame 35mm (still)? Because generally only still camera lenses would cover the FF35 groundglass, with a few exceptions. I guess if they put a PL-mount on it, it must be 35mm cine in size but I could be wrong.

Hi David,

the GG is Full Frame (photo) 35mm. but you can, of course, zoom in and capture only a S35 portion of it. I have never done that so far as most cams (fixed lenses and a close up lens) will not focus on the GG zoomed in.

Cheers, Dave