EV SCALE

• Premium Member
I´ve heard about the EV scale, it is in my new light meter, but i can not understand how it works and what purpuse it has.

If anyone can explain to me i would be very happy.

Thank you

It's just a number to represent all combinations of aperture and shutter speed that yield the same exposure. For example, EV0 equates to f1 at 1 second of exposure. It also equates to f2 at 1/2 second exposure, f4 at 1/4 second, f8 at 1/8 second, etc.

I have never found much use for it, but it is a nice convenient way for lightmeters (this all started in the days of analog meters) to only have to output one number instead of two.

It's just a number to represent all combinations of aperture and shutter speed that yield the same exposure. For example, EV0 equates to f1 at 1 second of exposure. It also equates to f2 at 1/2 second exposure, f4 at 1/4 second, f8 at 1/8 second, etc.

I have never found much use for it, but it is a nice convenient way for lightmeters (this all started in the days of analog meters) to only have to output one number instead of two.

That´s what I have been reading. I can´t find much use to.

Thank you

If you´re using a spotmeter with EV scale it´s a good way to work with the zonal system, knowing that the difference between EV´s is right one stop.

Instead of guessing the difference in F stops, you get a straight difference in natural numbers.

I.E. camera stop f 4.0. Dark side f 1.4.

In EV´s would be (i.e.) Zone V in camera EV 10. Dark side EV 7 (Zone III). I think it´s a straight and easier math.

Although I´m using a Minolta Spotmeter F that takes the things a little more easier:

I you get the Camera F stop, you set it in the meter as A (Average), then every reading is in EV, BUT STARTING AT THE AVERAGE MEASURE.

i.e. You read a gray card (i.e. f 2.8), then you set it as your average. Readouts over f 2.8 will be positive (1 stop over, or f 4.0 will read 1, 2 over or f 5.6: 2. And so on, with decimals intermediates). f 2.8 will be "0" (zero). Readouts under f 2.8 will give you negatives number (f 2.0 is -1, and so with the decimal intermediates).

I find it quite practical and easy to work with.

Best regards

Alejandro

i use it the same way all the time

to measure the contrast of a scene

i set the f/stop i want to the scene then i "tell" the meter it's EV0

then i every place i point the meter i can get an easy read of the stop difference

every Ev number represent 1 f/stop so if i see a EV3 it's 3 stop over and if it's -2.5EV it's 2.5 stop under

very easy and fast

i use it the same way all the time

to measure the contrast of a scene

i set the f/stop i want to the scene then i "tell" the meter it's EV0

then i every place i point the meter i can get an easy read of the stop difference

every Ev number represent 1 f/stop so if i see a EV3 it's 3 stop over and if it's -2.5EV it's 2.5 stop under

very easy and fast

This has benn very very useful.

Thank you very much!!! Muchisimas gracias!!!!