New Music video

Hey

New music video I shot for Ashley Richards the song called second guess just went online.

The Director was Jeremy Lutter

This is the 2nd music video Ive done with Jeremy, the first video I did with him was for Justin Hewitt and it involved stop animation and body paint,that was shot on a DSLR 1 frame at a time.

This video is waaay different, this one is a pop video we shot it on a panasonic HPX-170 with a brevis 35mm adapter and canon FD lens.

I also kept a 1/4 black promist filter on the camera the whole time.

the video had a retro theme, and we used pin up photography as a lot of references.

in terms of the lighting I know pin up photography can be a bit flat.

So I wanted to glamorize things a bit more with glowing highlights and contrast.

Let me know what you think, good or bad?

heres the link

It really has great art direction. I like the look, overall, though I think some of the highlights are just a bit too bright for my own personal taste, but looks damned good none the less.

Thanks Adrian

we had 2 great art directors Oshy and Yaun did a fantastic job.

As for the lighting be leave it or not a few shots the Director had to ask me to tone it down a bit LOL :D

The shot on the bed at :32 I actually had the highlights 2 stops higher, the director said it looks like the Sun

is in the room or their covered in Lava.

so I scrimed the light back about 2 stops, at the time I thought it looked great the way I originally had it,but looking at the video Im glad I listened to Jeremy.

overall Im not a big fan either of burning highlights, I much prefer the roger deakins method of lighting.

But it felt right for this music video?

looked good. I like hard backlights, but on digital I am always more reserved when going that hott. I might have backed off a stop, even though you kept a fairly consistent backlight most of the time.

I dig it, but I wish the story were better. It had the right ingredients!

Hey I thought it was really cool - I really digged the bright highlights and thought it was really refreshing to see someone be so daring with digital and embrace clipping - and it was a nice clipping, not sharp or ugly but more dreamy - especially at 0:34.

There was also a nice over-saturated use of colour as well.

My main criticism of it as a whole are not really cinematography related, some of the rooms felt extremely cramped which kinda disrupted the feel and secondly even though it was a great idea having her trailing this string behind her and it entangling her it became quite silly and laughable at times that it was almost reminiscent of a Catherine Tate sketch, undermining the atmosphere you are striving to create.

The string idea was very ingenious and metaphoric none the less - though admittedly I'm partial to a bit of string in my own stuff!

Great stuff!

Andy

Hey I thought it was really cool - I really digged the bright highlights and thought it was really refreshing to see someone be so daring with digital and embrace clipping - and it was a nice clipping, not sharp or ugly but more dreamy - especially at 0:34.

There was also a nice over-saturated use of colour as well.

Great stuff!

Andy

Thanks Andy

Im glad you said that,I feel the same with.

somtimes you have to embrace the limitations that digital offers,and use it creativly.

I do try my best to avoid clipping on frontal lighting, I love it when back lights or edge lights clip.

or when out of focused areas of the frame blow out.

and black promists really help.

As for the saturation,we had some really colourful sets and costumes,plus the HPX like most digital cameras really produce colors

that really pop, somtimes its too much, but I liked what it did on this video.

I watched your video, good work man:)

the stedicam work was awesome, and good exposure, I know how hard it can be shooting in a forrest

in daylight on digital.

I thought you may of shot film,until I read the bottom headline.

the stedicam work was awesome, and good exposure, I know how hard it can be shooting in a forrest

in daylight on digital.

Cheers Daniel, exposing correctly wasn't easy in the woods especially as I was having to think about steadicam operating also - but luckily I'd decided to use the camera's Cine Gamma 4 which is fairly flat and gives plenty of room for correction but doesn't look quite as good as some of the others.

I couldn't help bring it up because the sting was such a similar thing - its a very visual object!

How did you find the Brevis adapter?

in daylight on digital.

Cheers Daniel, exposing correctly wasn't easy in the woods especially as I was having to think about steadicam operating also - but luckily I'd decided to use the camera's Cine Gamma 4 which is fairly flat and gives plenty of room for correction but doesn't look quite as good as some of the others.

I couldn't help bring it up because the sting was such a similar thing - its a very visual object!

The Brevis is a great adapter

then again its the only one I ever used,so I cant compare it to anything else.

I just dont like how the switch is so easy to bump,and turn off the groundglass

next to that its great,only 1/2 stop of light loss.

I was not impressed by the prop selection - it looks like the art directors wandered into a retro shop with an open checkbook and no instructions other than "iconic style". I half expect to see the price tags still in place. Is there some era to be recreated, or is this merely some yuppie's fascination with grandma's odds & ends?

Loved the string motif, though.

I was not impressed by the prop selection - it looks like the art directors wandered into a retro shop with an open checkbook and no instructions other than "iconic style". I half expect to see the price tags still in place. Is there some era to be recreated, or is this merely some yuppie's fascination with grandma's odds & ends?

Loved the string motif, though.

Im not sure,I be leave most of the props where donated.

I know the budget was small.

• 1 month later...

As a feature operator assistant, I'm kind of biased about what music videos should look like...and this one contradicts that, and I like, it's more like a narrative. How ever, it wasn't enough to make it dramatic... good effort though. I think experience will improve. The singer was so cute that I wish you made her look like a million $!