DCI Compliance?

Landon D. Parks

Hey guys,

I'm looking for information on DCI compliance. After talking with a manager at one of the Landmark Theater's on digital delivery, he said we would need to deliver the movie on a standard SATA hard drive with the move file being DCI compliant. Looks like they are using a mixture of 4k and 2k projectors, so I don't know if that will mean we need two different compliance's?

Any idea how to go about making the 4k RED masters complaint with this standard? Can it be done in-house or will this have to be outsourced?

Thanks!

• Premium Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking for information on DCI compliance. After talking with a manager at one of the Landmark Theater's on digital delivery, he said we would need to deliver the movie on a standard SATA hard drive with the move file being DCI compliant. Looks like they are using a mixture of 4k and 2k projectors, so I don't know if that will mean we need two different compliance's?

Any idea how to go about making the 4k RED masters complaint with this standard? Can it be done in-house or will this have to be outsourced?

Thanks!

Not someting you can do at home

There is a plugi-in for Final Cut Pro that creates DCI files :

http://www.quvis.com/?Action=Products&SubAction=wraptor

QuVIS Wraptor™ is a software plug-in for Apple® Compressor that adds the ability to create a professional-quality, DCI JPEG2000-encoded, AES-encrypted, MXF-wrapped, and distribution-ready Digital Cinema Package (DCP) directly from a Final Cut Studio® project.

Wraptor™ dramatically reduces the cost of entry for content producers that must submit their composition in the Digital Cinema distribution format to film festivals, industry award events, Digital Cinema advertising, and other digital exhibition venues of alternative content.

Corporate users of Final Cut Studio, such as motion picture studios and commercial post houses, also benefit from Wraptors low cost-of-entry by reducing the need for specialized DCP mastering equipment or third-party DCP services. With Wraptor™ and Final Cut Studio the production costs for lower-budget projects like movie shorts, movie trailers, movie teasers, advertisements, public service announcements, training videos, and most types of alternative content can be kept under control and under budget. High-quality archiving using the secure DCP architecture is achievable using Final Cut Studio and Wraptor™.

Wow,

Good to see that DCI is now as simple as an apple plug-in :lol: .

I had read where the average cost to do a DCI complience for a feature was $20,000!

After investigating, it appears the QuVIS Wraptor tool will only compile 2k, and not 4k.

Although, the tool will fit in nicely with the new apple editing / Finnishing systems we are in the process of buying... We were going with an Avid, until Apple anounced that their new Final Cut 3 would support 4k...

$700 is not too bad on the price point either. I see no mention of system requirements, but I take it an 8 core mac with 32GB ram and Final Cut Studio 3 should run the program quit well?

Thanks,

I see no mention of system requirements, but I take it an 8 core mac with 32GB ram and Final Cut Studio 3 should run the program quit well?

Actually, no. Wraptor only works with Compressor 3.0.4. 2K-only is correct; that's all FC supported at the time. Why the version constraint? Because QuVIS is in the midst of bankruptcy proceedings. There's no one left to update it.

Actually, no. Wraptor only works with Compressor 3.0.4.

It says right on the user manual "Compressor3: Version 3.0.3 or later

and Final Cut Pro 6: Version 6.0.4 or later. Compressor in FCS4 is 3.5...

Because QuVIS is in the midst of bankruptcy proceedings. There's no one left to update it.

That's confusing. There website is still up, and they still have the product for sale.

It says right on the user manual "Compressor3: Version 3.0.3 or later

and Final Cut Pro 6: Version 6.0.4 or later. Compressor in FCS4 is 3.5...

That's confusing. There website is still up, and they still have the product for sale.

There's noone left to update the manual or web site either:

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/120908/bus_365359453.shtml

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23243