Using Arri 435 ES for the first time

caiwoting

Hey guys:

I just finished my film school and about to be the AC on a commercial shoot next monday. for the first time I'll be using an Arri 435 ES, and I'm nervers, not only because I've never shot on that camera before, but also its my first job that I can not screw it.

Anything I should be aware of when making love with that camera? I mean everything, from loading, to setting timecode, to cooperate with the sound. I'll prey for any advice from u guys.

Thanks a lot and merry christmas.

Woting

That's the thing, I don't know yet, I'm trying to be prepared as much as I can, I'm reading the camera manual now, but u know, it's always not as good as hearing from experienced people directly.

so what do u say, u got anything for me? :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

You don't know if you're the 1st or 2nd yet? That's strange. If I were you I'd go to a rental house and ask one of the tech's to give you an overview of the camera. You'll make a lot of people really nervous if you show up on set and don't know how to thread the camera or load a mag. It sounds like you may be in a little over your head. Is the person who hired you aware that you've never used this camera before?

The arri 435 is a great camera, not hard to use. BUT do yourself a favor and learn how to use it in person before you show up on the set. The Mags are similar to Arri 3's and the movement and electronics share some things with a 535.

Good luck

Matt

www.fuzby.com

Woting,

Don't Panic. Not knowing a particular camera can be fixed by a trip to the rental house and a dummy reel. More importantly, Do you know what you're supposed to do on the job? Talk to experienced AC's who can advise you.

Relax, be honest, diligent and seek the first hands-on experience with the camera. As previously mentioned, the local rent house has certainly heard this request before. Go and practice loading the mag and threading the movement. Ask them if they know anyone who owns a 435 and give him/her a call to get some hands-on time with the camera. I've recieved calls like that. Barter some of your time for time with the 435. Be resourceful.

On the set, be alert and think ahead. Just actively prepare for the job. It wouldn't hurt to have good reference material with you like, The Camera Assistant by Douglas Hart, or The Assistant Cameraman's manual by David Elkins or Blain Brown's Cinematographers Pocket reference. All from Focal Press. You can download the 435 manual from theArri site or even from this website. Look under manuals and docs. PDF 's of most common cameras.

Edited by Leon Rodriguez

• Premium Member
Whatever you do, don't pretend or lie that you know how to load the mags, if you don't.  Just a common sense here. I've seen this happen, and it did cost a lot of money to the production company....

I had a 2nd once somewhere in eastern europe who pretended he could load an arri 16 SR, but as I gave him the first mag to reload, it took him an hour or 2... The worse was the sweat on my changing bag !!!!

• Premium Member

I was just talking about AC horror stories with a couple of friends. The best I heard was a 2nd working on some commercial somehow fogged a roll of film. Fine. It?s a terrible thing, but it happens. It may not have even been his fault. Although, when he was approached about it, he blamed it on? a firefly in the darkroom. A firefly!! :lol:

• Premium Member

It's not really spending much time to show the threading... They would give a bit of dead stock and let the guy get used to it.

I guess it's a normal thing that a rental gives technicians the means to use the stuff they rent...

It also is a sort of way of setting up good relationship with beginners. They will possibly be working with them more and more, as a 2nd, then as a 1 st and may be one day a cinematographer... They will be the customers one day...

Saying "no, we're not here to teach you , etc" should not be a good way to begin commercial and technical relationships

In France it has always been like this.

• Premium Member

Why wouldn't they?

They obvioulsy want people to know how to properly use their cameras. I don't know what your experiences with rental companies are, but I have always found them to be overwhelmingly friendly and helpful, even when they didn't know me. I once went to Panavision London to get taught how to use a 535A (for a film they didn't even provide the equipment for!). Same thing when I wanted to test their anamorphic lenses, I just called them up and fixed an appointment to shoot some test footage. Right now I have a geared head sitting in my garage that Arri Luxembourg provided me free of charge so that I can practice operating on it. It's called customer service!

I had a 2nd once somewhere in eastern europe who pretended he could load an arri 16 SR, but as I gave him the first mag to reload, it took him an hour or 2... The worse was the sweat on my changing bag !!!!

That's exactly what happened on the shoot I was referring to! And I heard there was so much sweat, that the film got ruined partly because of it.

But on the other hand, I can't load anything yet :blink:

>Because it occupies a six-figure camera making no money?

That's why they get you to come in when the camera isn't busy.

When I was an assistant, it was common practice to head down to Panavision or Sammy's to bone up on anything you weren't sure about. After all, there is a first time for everyone with new kit.

Stuart

I would think that the 'big picture' reasoning would be: " This kid is a fledgling AC today but a shooter/customer tomorrow". An AC can refer a particular rental house above another as well as another DP. Additionally, there is a sense of community, I think, amongst most like-minded film folk. Personally, I enjoy hanging out and talking to other shooters or wanna-be shooters. In fact I mostly want to talk about film. That's what we do here.

I don't go to the most convenient rental house. I go where I'm well treated and feel a sense of community.

I had a young film student come by and load my cameras just to learn how. The deal I made with him was:" ... once you learn how, you owe me a day as a loader". He readily agreed. I used him on a no budget situation. We had a blast and became pals. Today, many years later, he's a terriffic shooter. It's not just money.

Edited by Leon Rodriguez

• Premium Member
Hi,

> Why wouldn't they?

Because it occupies a six-figure camera making no money? Just a minor point.

Phil

Well sure, but the camera isn't being rented that day. It's not like they give it to you to take home. When I've asked to test certain things at rental houses the caveat has always been, "As long as we're not too busy and that piece of gear isn't rented."

• Premium Member
Hi,

Okay, well, I'd still fear that it'd set a rather dangerous precedent and flood the poor rental guys out with know-nothing wannabes (like me.) Maybe I'm just anticipating what would happen in London.

Phil

Actually, I think you'd be welcomed at rental houses in London. You're knowledge is above and beyond what they probably experience most of the time with these kinds of things. Try it, you'll like it.....