State of Play

Hey Guys,

I watched "State of Play" the other night and was really impressed by R Prieto's work on it.

His command of colours was very impressive in "Lust, Caution" but the variety of exposures, colours and un-intrussive lighting in "State of Play" made me sit up...

I was wondering other ppl's thoughts on this film?

I thought the photography was superb. Rodrigo used film cameras for all the newspaper/Crowe shots, and Genesis HD cameras for all the politics/Affleck/DC stuff, to give them that "clean, polished" look. This was more than some gimmick. It actually worked out perfectly and subtly.

"Public Enemies" tried to mix various cameras and formats, and the whole thing was a mess. But "State of Play" is first-class cinematography.

I wasn't actually aware of the mix of formats on "State of Play".....I agree that this certainly shows how you can "marry" both formats.

I too am a political thriller fan, so I was very pleased to see "State of Play". Just like I was on a french film that I saw this year, which title has been translated to "Anything For Her" (Pour Elle). Not a political thriller but the similarity on both these films, is that they didn't use CGI or any other "fake" digital effects to make it work.

It was just plain ol fashioned good film making!

(for the record, I don't object to artificial elements, as long as they're done properly)

I thought the photography was superb. Rodrigo used film cameras for all the newspaper/Crowe shots, and Genesis HD cameras for all the politics/Affleck/DC stuff, to give them that "clean, polished" look. This was more than some gimmick. It actually worked out perfectly and subtly.

"Public Enemies" tried to mix various cameras and formats, and the whole thing was a mess. But "State of Play" is first-class cinematography.

I thought the Genesis stuff looked poop, and did not intercut well at all with anamorphic. It looked Fugly in comparison. Horrible skin tones.

In fact, I think everything I've seen shot on Genesis has looked poop, except stuff that went for an obviously over the top look, where you could hide artifacts (like Planet Terror, which looked pretty convincing in a B movie sort of way)

R.

I thought the Genesis stuff looked poop, and did not intercut well at all with anamorphic. It looked Fugly in comparison. Horrible skin tones.

In fact, I think everything I've seen shot on Genesis has looked poop, except stuff that went for an obviously over the top look, where you could hide artifacts (like Planet Terror, which looked pretty convincing in a B movie sort of way)

R.

"Poop"?

Ugh. There's a word I would never use, ever.

If this forums gonna censor what I say, I'd rather it just uses "****"s instead of CHANGING what I say.

R.

All your base your base is are belonging to us!

I like the Genesis sometimes. I really thought it looked fine in Apocolypto, for example, but like any tool you gotta use it as appropriate.

It looked okay. Same would have looked better on film.

In

My

Humble

Opinion.

"Poop"?

Ugh. There's a word I would never use, ever.

If this forums gonna censor what I say, I'd rather it just uses "****"s instead of CHANGING what I say.

R.

LMAO, what happened here? Someone edited your post??

You guys have way better eyes than I do for this type of thing. I didn't mind the Genesis shots at all. I think the political stuff on Genesis was supposed to look "polished, clean and phony" - just like Washington DC.