Versatility for under $15k?

Guest Sean McVeigh

On discussing noise level, does anyone have any idea what the noise level is for the Mitchell MKII and S35R cameras? The two are based on similar designs, and S35R stands for 'Silent 35mm Reflex', yet it's still categorized as an MOS camera?

---If it were silent, why would Mitchell have made the huge blimp?

I htink the S actually stands for 'system', since the blimp with the video assisst is called the 'System 35' blimp.

I would think that at 24fps the MkII/S35R would sound like an NC, though maybe a bit noisier since the NC doesn't have the mirror shutter.

---LV

---If it were silent, why would Mitchell have made the huge blimp?

I htink the S actually stands for 'system', since the blimp with the video assisst is called the 'System 35' blimp.

I would think that at 24fps the MkII/S35R would sound like an NC, though maybe a bit noisier since the NC doesn't have the mirror shutter.

---LV

This is where I read the information

http://indycine.com/manuals/S35Rp.htm

What you're saying makes a lot more sense though; or it could be that they meant "silent" but only with the blimp. What's the noise level of an NC?

• Premium Member
On discussing noise level, does anyone have any idea what the noise level is for the Mitchell MKII and S35R cameras? The two are based on similar designs, and S35R stands for 'Silent 35mm Reflex', yet it's still categorized as an MOS camera?

Hi,

Mitchell MKII and S35R's are very noisy outside of a blimp. The most usual place to see them in regular use today is on a motion control rig where noise is not a problem. Depending on what motor you are using I guess 50-60 dB

I always thought it was a Studio 35mm Reflex.

Hi,

Mitchell MKII and S35R's are very noisy outside of a blimp. The most usual place to see them in regular use today is on a motion control rig where noise is not a problem. Depending on what motor you are using I guess 50-60 db

I always thought it was a Studio 35mm Reflex.

So basically as noisy as an Arri IIC? Interesting, I knew they were MOS, but I thought they'd be a bit quieter than the Arri IIs and the Konvasi? One guy who offered to sell me one said "it's MOS, but it's not 'noisy'." I had no idea what he was talking about (or how that could be possible?), but he had a crystal motor and ran it at 24 fps. Strange ...

What you're saying makes a lot more sense though; or it could be that they meant "silent" but only with the blimp. What's the noise level of an NC?

---An NC is around 40dB.

here's areference to the Mitchell system 35:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0061034/technical

I'd have to check out lirary magazines in the ware house to

• Premium Member
---An NC is around 40dB.

here's areference to the Mitchell system 35:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0061034/technical

I'd have to check out lirary magazines in the ware house to

Hi,

Just bought a fridge that should be 41dB, All the Mk II 's I've used make far more noise than this fridge thats why I was guessing 50-60dB. I know a Aaton A Minima is 28dB. A very quiet motor would help but I have never seen one.

Edit 40dB in a Blimp might be correct!

I've bought that manual from Sam. I am not sure if that's a quote from the manual or it its Sam's text. I am not at home so I can't check.

Stephen

So basically as noisy as an Arri IIC? Interesting, I knew they were MOS, but I thought they'd be a bit quieter than the Arri IIs

The Mitchell Mark II or the 35S or as it was called in the studio I worked in years ago the R35. Is in quite loud. Louder than a IIC. It's a great camera though and can run at speeds up to 120 fps with double pin registration. Some of them also had the abiltiy to mount the mag on the back and there was even a 400 foot mag designed for handheld use. So darn heavy, I never saw anyone use the hand held mags, they sat in their case while an Arri IIC was prefered.

The Mitchell NC is quiet. Not like a BNC but quiet enough to shoot sound in conditions where background noise or camera distance make it acceptable, outside or with long lenses. There were quite a few of them reflexed and in use in and around LA. I wonder where these cameras are now.

I've got a reflex NC, it's still got the rackover base but it's been locked off. I'm not sure if it was once a BNCR that later had the "B" removed or if it was something in-between. If I recall correctly, the guy I bought it from had purchased it from Martin Hill in North Carolina. You can see that it's got an animation motor, I've used it for many years in stop motion animation but it's just been sitting dormant lately, as most of my work now is done in computer animation.

NCR_mitchell_01.jpg

It was outfitted with a very sensitive black and white Cohu videotap camera by Ken Stone for use on the stop-motion elements for "Monkeybone":

NCR_mitchell_02.jpg

I do have a sync motor for it that I purchased from Martin Hill, and in the few times I've shot with that it has indeed been very quiet, comparable to the noise that my Arri 2B makes (though maybe even a little more quiet).

NCR_mitchell_03.jpg

• Premium Member
I've got a reflex NC, it's still got the rackover base but it's been locked off. I'm not sure if it was once a BNCR that later had the "B" removed or if it was something in-between. If I recall correctly, the guy I bought it from had purchased it from Martin Hill in North Carolina. You can see that it's got an animation motor, I've used it for many years in stop motion animation but it's just been sitting dormant lately, as most of my work now is done in computer animation.

Hi,

That looks like a NC that has been reflexed! I guess there is a beamsplitter behind the lens! I saw a similar camera for sale by Kinemaman on Ebay a couple of years ago, also painted blue.

Stephen