LOOK! It's David Mullen moving and talking!!

Guest Tim Partridge

The BBC have this article on Shadowboxer lit by our very own David Mullen at their website:

http://www.bbcworld.com/content/talkingmov...665&co_pageid=2

I think anyone who visits here regularly will get a chill seeing a walking and talking Mr. Mullen in what appears to be the same setting and clothes from his profile pic (giving you the benefit of the doubt ;) ). Quite a surreal moment!

This Lee Daniels character seems to have a lot to say and even Cuba Gooding Jr. seems willing to open eyes on this one (an incestuous mixed race mother/son hitman combo)- SO good though to see this juxtaposed with what looks to be very classical, flattering lighting. Granted we don't see a frame of the actual film, but the behind the scenes stuff showcases HMIs with muslin for softlighting, the utilisation of sunlight's true glamour and some delicate dollywork. Here's something neat I found at imdb:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0396857/board/nest/13450390

And then there's Helen Mirren, yum....

Well folks- 2005 may well be THE year I finally venture back to my local multiplex, regardless of all the scallies, mobile phones, postage stamp projection screens, overpriced tickets, Orange mobile phone adverts...

• Premium Member

Hi,

Is there some sort of union regulation that forces all camera assistants to have at least fourteen tons of junk hanging from their waists? I mean sheesh, I've worked with people who used beltpacks, but yikes!

(Black vest top, walking slowly away from camera, parallel to some tracks, towards a car)

Phil

Edited by Phil Rhodes

Is there some sort of union regulation that forces all camera assistants to have at least fourteen tons of junk hanging from their waists? I mean sheesh, I've worked with people who used beltpacks, but yikes!

I've witnessed an AC I know carry around tape rolls around with him to bars, and this was on day we weren't shooting.

• Premium Member

Very nice piece, with some nice behind the scenes shots of Mr. Mullen's handiwork.

I think it is a union rule to carry a lot of crap on your belt. It saves trips to the mag liner/ cases - thus making you faster.

When I used to assist more, I had a belt full of crap, but I never had a pouch quite that big! I just had a lot of smaller ones. People would love when it when they asked for an allen wrench, and I would just open my pouch and say ?Metric or standard??

My favorite is when after working, my gaffer and I went to get dinner. I went home first to change and handle some paperwork. I meet him at the restaurant and he still has C-47s on his shirt and has his earpiece in. I just looked at him and started laughing. It took a good half hour for him to figure out what I was laughing at . . .

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Actually the guy with all the stuff around his waist in the clip was the unit stills photographer (David Lee); just like photo-journalists, they tend to carry a lot of stuff in bags and belts, being a one-man band.

There are no union rules about camera assistants having to wear tool belts, etc. They all just work out their own system, just like how some use a front box and some don't.

You can see 1st AC Michael Leonard at lot in these clips and the size of the Primo anamorphic prime lenses (looks like tha 40mm or 50mm he is putting on.)

It's funny how much bigger the unit looks when you're outside, but it was a tiny location so we were all sort of crammed together in whatever piece of lawn was off-camera.

Guest Frank Gossimier

Ok I must have missed some thing, I was promised a....

"walking and talking Mr. Mullen"

I saw a few quick shots of him, pointing at dolly track, talking to the director side view. (no audio)

Where was the talking part?

Frank

• Premium Member
Ok I must have missed some thing, I was promised a....

"walking and talking Mr. Mullen"

I saw a few quick shots of him, pointing at dolly track, talking to the director side view. (no audio)

Where was the talking part?

Frank

Well, having worked with David on a film last year I can say that he was pretty quiet on the set. I've worked with some DP's that you ALWAYS know are there because they are constantly calling out across the set to different people. Not that that is bad, but David was different....much quieter. In other words.....the chances of hearing David speaking loudly across the set are probably slim, especially in a short piece like the one posted.

That was an interesting clip. I'm very intrigued about the film now. Thanks for posting that.

• Premium Member
There are no union rules about camera assistants having to wear tool belts, etc.  They all just work out their own system, just like how some use a front box and some don't.

I know, but it would be fun if there were specific guidelines as to what one must carry at all times.

I personally like a 1st with a frontbox . . . that way I always have a place to put my light meter :D ;)

Every assistant I have worked with/ for has had their own system, as do I. Some guys keep virtually nothing on them, while others keep what seems like the enite contents of their bag on them. Whatever gets the job done.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member
Up until now I've only seen David in the still shot on the forum.
Looks like he's our leader! An on-line mentor to how many thousands
of aspriing cinematographers? I have never shot film in a motion picture
camera before. So here's a stupid,idiot,newbie question. Was the camera
a Panaflex? Magazine to the rear and vertical,correct? It moved so fast I
may have missed some of it.

Greg

Guest Frank Gossimier

Oh wait I watched it again, you can hear David after all.

He's the guy yelling....

"I TOLD YOU NO ONIONS!! YOU IDIOT I SAID NO ONIONS!!" :D

Frank

• Premium Member

Hi,

A complete nonsequitur, but I do find Panavision movements cute. You actually get to lace up, as opposed to the SR3 situation where one merely throws the magazine vaguely in the direction of the rear of the camera and hopes.

I like the way the movement clicks open like a projector, I like the little button that allows you to inch along and check everything is kosher (I wish the projector I use had one of those). I like the catch on the door. But why are they white, for crying out loud?

Phil

• Premium Member

re: belts 'n' pouches:

Belts 'n' pouches are AC bling. For DP's: the bling is the gold light meter. I'm getting my old spectra gold plated. Yo? I think I'll wear it when I go out at night.

The gold plated gear head was a bit much and nobody really knew what it was. Plus it made my neck sore.