Teach ME! Teach me! Teach me!

Guest ev1lbutler

Guest ev1lbutler

Hi,

This is my very first post, I'm sorry if this has been post elsewhere on this site. I've looked and searched, but couldn't find the same type of question. Anyways, I have been making a few shorts with digital camcorders. (Just crappy homemade camcorders). I am only in highschool, and naive as this may sound, I want to start making shorts using film and not digital. I am at the point in my life, where I am pretty sure know what I want to do with it, but am afraid of pursuing it. Ha, enough of this highschool crap right? Anyways, I know that even starting film may be pricy, but I still want to learn. Are there any books out there so that I can learn how to use film camcorders? Thanks for reading. Any replies even negative ones are welcom. Thanks again.

Heres my question if you want to skip my long introduction!!!

Are there any books out there where I can learn how to use film camcorders. I have looked endlessly for them, but I keep finding books about how to get the shot I want or about directing, etc, but never about how to start using a film camcorder itself. Sorry if this is a stupid question, don't answer it if its too stupid for you. Thanks for reading.

• Premium Member
Are there any books out there where I can learn how to use film camcorders.

Do you mean a movie camera? There's no such thing as a "film camcorder". Many of the books listed in the "Shop" section on the home page were recommended by members.

http://cinematography.com/shop/

Something like "Cinematography" by Malkiewicz is a good basic book in shooting 16mm. I worked on an update but it won't be released until late in 2005 probably.

"Are there any books out there where I can learn how to use film camcorders. I have looked endlessly for them, but I keep finding books about how to get the shot I want or about directing, etc, but never about how to start using a film camcorder itself. Sorry if this is a stupid question, don't answer it if its too stupid for you. Thanks for reading."

Amazon.com has tons of 'em.

The books that have helped and inspired me so far are Blain Brown's "Motion picture and Video lighting" and "Cinematography: Image Making for Cinematographers, Directors, and Videographers". The "Shot by Shot" series, and various camera manuels.

Subscribing to American Cinematograper or another cinematography magazine might help.

As far as learning how to use a film camera? I've been teaching myself by watching movies over and over again, studying their lighting patterns (bear with me), reading camera manuels online, checking out helpful websites and forums (like this one) and finally buying an entry level 16mm camera to experiment on.

Practicing on a 35mm SLR with movie film can also be a great tool.

Practice --> constructive critisizm --> more practice --> learn how to apply a more critical eye to your work --> perfection.

Learning how to use the camera is just the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by TSM

• Premium Member

Hello ev1lbutler,

I shoot excellent dv almost everyday with PD-170(Sony). However it will not

replace film. I'm not sure if you want information for film camera or DV cam-

corder? Anyway here is some info:

1. DVCam- John Fauer ASC, At the ASC store

2. Shooting Digital Video- John Fauer ASC, At ASC store

3. ASC Video Manual- ASC Press, At ASC Store

4. Placing Shadows: Lighting Techniques For Digital Production

By- Chuck B. Goodman and Tom Letourneau

(At ASC store)

5. Nonlinear Editing(for dv)-Storytelling,Asthetics,Craft

By- Bryce Button (At ASC store)

Greg Gross

• Premium Member

Don't forget the American Cinematographer Manual!

Also, many of the filmmaking books in the Focal Press Media Manuals series are excellent introductions to the craft and technology.

The Kodak website has a wealth of information available on-line:

http://www.kodak.com/go/motion (general motion picture site)

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/index.jhtml

http://www.kodak.com/go/student

http://www.kodak.com/go/16mm

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/index.jhtml

• Premium Member

Yes John,

You are right sir, The American Cinematographers Manual from ASC.

This is the one book I have with me all the time. I'm always reading

this book! Also American Cinematographer magazine. John, thanks

for posting great websites for Kodak Look Manager!

Greg Gross

if he is asking for a film camcorder I dont think he will understand the AC manual too much. I am in highschool too, But I have been fortunate enough to find myself bumping into the right people who have given me chances to work with the medium many times before shooting film myself. Books for me are more so reference materials. I need to spend some time around the things Im reading about before I read them, helps me connect much better. and I think this may help him as well, reading is good, but go get yourself some hands one experience with film and then I think you should be set man. Spend some time in camera houses, and read a lot of what is in these forums. hope i was helpful.

My best wishes

Allen,

You are SO right!

Nothing can replace seeing the actual equipment...being around it...and being around good people with experience, who are willing to share their knowledge.

Ev1l,

If you volunteer your services as free labor, you might be able to find an "intern position." One can learn a lot that way...and it may even open a lot of doors down the road! (...And, yeah, reading helps too!)

All the best,

Diana

if he is asking for a film camcorder I dont think he will understand the AC manual too much. I am in highschool too, But I have been fortunate enough to find myself bumping into the right people who have given me chances to work with the medium many times before shooting film myself.  Books for me are more so reference materials. I need to spend some time around the things Im reading about before I read them, helps me connect much better.  and I think this may help him as well, reading is good, but go get yourself some hands one experience with film and then I think you should be set man.  Spend some time in camera houses, and read a lot of what is in these forums. hope i was helpful.

My best wishes

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man I know you're in High School

And possibly niave...

(well we all are niave little people running around bumping into things)

but that's no excuse to lack self-confidence

Be more confident there are no stupid question

Stop being scared to ask question or you won't learn.

Now to answer your question

I feel-->Shot by Shot: A Pratical Guide to Filmmaking (by Cantine & Lewis)

Is a great and cheap book for beginners

It'll teach you all the terms

If you're very interested in learning how a Film Camera works

Perhaps the ASC MANUAL might help

But it's very technical and can sometimes be confusing to a rookie

Also The Professional Cameraman's Handbook is good book

But again very technical

However it does have great illustrations to teach you how to load a camera.

If you're interested in learning film the best thing to do is go out and shoot

Buy a K3 camera (it's only 200) and shoot the poop outta it

Also buy a light meter you can get a Sekonic L398 on ebay cheap

Shoot B&W reversal it's fairly inexpensive

Around 40 bucks for 3 minutes Film and Development

Filmmaking is about constant practice

Just like sports you'll neve make it to the majors if you don't practice abunch

And the fact that you're young is even better by the time you turn 23

You might be at the same level as folks in the mid 30's

I started out young too and that happened to me

Now that's cool...

KARMA bums