RED or 16mm ?

Tom Law

and here a my filmclip shot on Kodachrome 25 ASA via Bolex S16 and Switar lenses

http://www.vimeo.com/2544845

Thats transfer to me has lost all that was great with Kodachrome !!!!! i used that stock for so many years ! the contrast and strong colours arnt there !! even most of it is shot with the [ as Kodak always said] the sun behind the camera !!!

• Premium Member
Thats transfer to me has lost all that was great with Kodachrome !!!!! i used that stock for so many years ! the contrast and strong colours arnt there !! even most of it is shot with the [ as Kodak always said] the sun behind the camera !!!

I guess the Telecine colorist never shot any kodachrome stills or movie as a kid! he just needs to look at the image on the film LOL.

• Premium Member
Hi guys,

In February i'm shooting a short thriller on a beach. Right now i'm trying to decide whether I should shoot on the Arriflex SR3 or the Red camera. I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons of both mediums. One factor i'm taking into account is that there will be a child actress, which may require a lot more takes. Also I'm shooting in Feb on a beach, and the weather might be unpredictable.

But I do love film, and so I just don't know what will be more appreciated by the audience/film festivals. One more thing, does anyone know the cost difference of grading digital vs film?

Thanks!

Tom

Don't forget about the dreaded IR problem. Could be nasty on a beach.

Colour movie film has zero response to IR.

3-chip cameras generally cope pretty well.

Single-chip cameras on the other hand...

Forget that RED 2.5k piece of junk, shoot good film stock at S16.

I agree 100%. Film is much better than any video cameras. Shoot on film and you will get a professional result. I do not see why to shoot on video to make it looks like film?!?

Video post production is expensive as well as video to film transfer ....And the result will be always not very good. If you have a low budget shoot on film. If you have no budget do not shoot at all you will waste your time

I am DP/Film Director for more that 40 years. I think that you can trust me.

Film looks like film and video looks like video .Period!

Take care

Guy Bodart

• Premium Member
Don't forget about the dreaded IR problem. Could be nasty on a beach.

The problem is real, but easily handled with a filter. Test for dynamic range and color gamut, problems for which there isn't an easy fix -- or any fix.

-- J.S.

I guess the Telecine colorist never shot any kodachrome stills or movie as a kid! he just needs to look at the image on the film LOL.

WAIT! it is a heavy compressed file! i did the transfer with my homemade equipment, i always shot Kodachrome and i know very well that no electronic display can match this film. The K25 is made for projection on large screen.

• Premium Member
WAIT! it is a heavy compressed file! i did the transfer with my homemade equipment, i always shot Kodachrome and i know very well that no electronic display can match this film. The K25 is made for projection on large screen.

Hi,

Colorist was blind, end of story.

i never shoot via red camera but for what i see on internet, , the red looks like computer generated/videogame images. Also shoots by HDCAM or Panasonic look video and not film! i think that tons of K resolution can't rival versus well shot Super8.

Roberto

I agree... I would rather shoot super 8mm than any HD/digital format.

oliver

• Premium Member

Just a little something to consider...

It's actually cheaper to shoot 2-perf 35mm than S8 in film and lab costs. 35mm cameras are cheaper than ever but 2-perf conversion costs are still up there. All in all, 2-perf is still the cheapest, highest quality way to go (assuming your going to DI anyway).

It's actually cheaper to shoot 2-perf 35mm than S8 in film and lab costs.

That's an interesting statement. Can you give some numbers or point me to good places to find them. I'm not doubting, I'm just very new to working with film.

• Premium Member
That's an interesting statement. Can you give some numbers or point me to good places to find them. I'm not doubting, I'm just very new to working with film.

There's a recent thread here in the forums where we did the numbers. I'll have to go looking for it. The numbers were based on the individual frame costs.

• Premium Member
There's a recent thread here in the forums where we did the numbers. I'll have to go looking for it. The numbers were based on the individual frame costs.

Okay, Chris. I just redid the numbers for you:

A 50' roll of S8 V2 costs $18.95 to buy and $15.00 to process. At 3600 frames available per roll the cost comes down to $0.00944 per frame.

A common deal for 2-perf is called a 10/10 deal. That's $0.10 per foot for short end rolls and $0.10 per foot for processing. You can get cheaper. The lowest deal I've ever heard of was a 5/8 deal. But 10/10 is reasonably common. At 32 frames per foot for 2-perf 35mm the cost per frame is $0.00625.

It's right around 2/3s the cost to shoot 2P35 as S8. The cameras are the common hassle with 2P35. That's why 2P35 enthusiasts often get their own cameras modded to save on rental hassles.

Does that help make sense of it?

• Premium Member
Okay, Chris. I just redid the numbers for you:

A 50' roll of S8 V2 costs $18.95 to buy and $15.00 to process. At 3600 frames available per roll the cost comes down to $0.00944 per frame.

A common deal for 2-perf is called a 10/10 deal. That's $0.10 per foot for short end rolls and $0.10 per foot for processing. You can get cheaper. The lowest deal I've ever heard of was a 5/8 deal. But 10/10 is reasonably common. At 32 frames per foot for 2-perf 35mm the cost per frame is $0.00625.

It's right around 2/3s the cost to shoot 2P35 as S8. The cameras are the common hassle with 2P35. That's why 2P35 enthusiasts often get their own cameras modded to save on rental hassles.

Does that help make sense of it?

If you bought 200' rolls of 16mm V2 from a retailer, paying $0.41 per foot and got it processed for $0.10 per foot, you'd encounter a cost of $0.01275 per frame. 2P35 is half the cost of S16. I just did those numbers out of curiosity. I've heard people mention 16mm short ends but have never checked with sellers if they actually, commonly exist.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate that. I've been in love with the idea of 2-perf since I first read about it. I'd heard that it could rival S16 prices, but these numbers are compelling. Of course they assume using short ends, but for the price...