MEKEL 300

daniel mahlknecht

Do you intend to use it for slow motion or do you expect the registration pin to give good effect?

For starters to test the camera reload old polavisions with super-8 or single-8. Either from long rolls (from wittner) or yank film clips from kodak or fuji cartridges. Single-8 would be interesting as more length would fit the polavision and the film is much stronger.

Modifying the camera would be better when you fix a 60 meter spool holder on top and some feeder and threading in the camera... Then you can use the 60 meter loads from wittner or just the 15 meters from cartridges wound on a spool.

Making standard single-8 fit is near impossible. The end of production of these is nearer then you would think, I am afraid.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Hi,

thanks for your answer, yes I intend to shoot highspeed only, as for regular schooting I use a ZC-1000 which has already a very steady picture.

There were rumours of a reloadable single8 cartige to be released soon, and I was placing my hopes into it once single8 really should be discontinued.

I yust like the zc-1000 much more than the super8s I have tried.

The 60m spool sounds also interesting though. Can the Mekel be stopped, once it has reached maximum speed? I have a redlake 16mm Highcam, and because of its rotating beamsplittersystem stopping the film once started is impossible, meaning that you have to shoot always a full load of film once pushed the trigger.

Daniel

The reloadable cartridge is vapourware. And I expect it will never show.

Find really old single-8 cartridges. These are taped together and thus easily made reusable.

The Mekel 300 runs only for the time the trigger is pushed in.

Find the Zc1000 discussion on filmshooting were Roger mentions having built a 400ft holder onto a zc1000. Really nice.

Try that on your Mekel (and zc1000). The trouble is there is no outside drive axis.

The Mekel 300 does not take out a loop of film. The cartridge goes in just like in a standard polavision camera. If you manage to reload these or fix a reel like thing on top of the camera and quide the film through properly using a cartridge probably it should work fine.

It is quite different from the Mekel super-8 camera which threads the film around its own sprocket.

The stop-start capability is really a function of speed. The Hycam probably could stop and start up to a few hundred pps, it's just not optimum for medium-speed. You'd risk perf damage. An intermittent camera like a Locam would be preferable.

The stop-start capability is really a function of speed. The Hycam probably could stop and start up to a few hundred pps, it's just not optimum for medium-speed. You'd risk perf damage. An intermittent camera like a Locam would be preferable.

The Mekel 300 is a super-8 camera. It stops and starts as you like. It is fast and it has a registration pin just like the other Mekel.

It is only 8mm film and not 16 or 35 with big reels.

The specifics of other cameras have no relevance.

Yesterday the Mekel 300 arrived, and as far as I can see, it wouldn't seem too difficult to adapt to single8, as the takeup winder is right there where it should be also for single8, just no pressureplate is there.

I thought I might try to fit one of an old single8 camera and the takeup windersprocket too, as the one built in is more like super8 style. But first of all I have to try to get the a working powersource. then I will shoot the two polavisionfilms that came with it (expired in 1983 so probably there won't be anything).

Daniel

Power adapter costs very little, I bought a few from a recycle-shop at 1 Euro a piece.

24 volt 1 Ampere should be good. Some old-school inkjet printers have strong external 'high' voltage adapters. You can also run it from truck batteries.

I think you are misjudging the complexity of the needed work. A single-8 does not fit.

The developer gel inside the polavisions likely has dried out completely.

Although some have used 10 year old ones with good result.

Good luck :)

• Premium Member
The Mekel 300 does not take out a loop of film. The cartridge goes in just like in a standard polavision camera. If you manage to reload these or fix a reel like thing on top of the camera and quide the film through properly using a cartridge probably it should work fine.

It is quite different from the Mekel super-8 camera which threads the film around its own sprocket.

Did not know that. I am curious if the Cine-8 is the official name for the version that requires a loop be made and mekel is the name for the kind of camera you have. Do you have any pictures?

resolved the power problem, I put an aditional mini XLR Plug into the handgrip, and wired it to the original plug. As a Powersource I used two makita tool bateries, they have just 1,4Ah instead of the 1,7Ah required for 300f/sec but the camera and the exposuremeter now work. I thought to use later on two NP1 Litium bateries, but I was not sure if it was a good Idea to put them into a row to obtain the required 24-32V.

As soon as I get some time I will try the old polavision films, and then I will see if the single8 idea is really impossible.

Daniel

• Premium Member
resolved the power problem, I put an aditional mini XLR Plug into the handgrip, and wired it to the original plug. As a Powersource I used two makita tool bateries, they have just 1,4Ah instead of the 1,7Ah required for 300f/sec but the camera and the exposuremeter now work. I thought to use later on two NP1 Litium bateries, but I was not sure if it was a good Idea to put them into a row to obtain the required 24-32V.

As soon as I get some time I will try the old polavision films, and then I will see if the single8 idea is really impossible.

Daniel

Nothing wrong with series connecting a couple of NP1's. Best practice would be to use an identical pair of batteries. All battery packs with more than 1.2 volts (or so) are constructed of single cells in series, you wouldn't be doing anything different.

Daniel

the Ah rate has nothing to do with overpowering or such. it is the quantity of content of a battery. I.e. it can sustain 1.7 A for 1 hour. or 0.85 for two etc. The voltage or max Ampere are not defined by Ah.

The camera runs at 24 volt and needs 1 Ampere at most, likely this at top speed.

In a S8 cartridge there are 3800 frames. So it takes less then 13 sec to expose fully at 300 fps.

Polavision hold less.

• 3 months later...
Hi,

I just bought a MEKEL 300 Polavision Highspeed camera, with the intention to modify it for single8.

Has this already be done? Or is it a better idea to reload the Polavision cassettes with super8 Filmstock?

Thanks

Daniel

Any success with the machine?

Here is another opportunity, "MEKEL 300 HIGH SPEED ANALYSIS CAMERA, 300fps VERY RARE!" ebay 280479441672

I reckon I am not spoiling anybody's advantageous opportunity here :) Although it is nicely conmplete.