smallest 2-perf / techniscope camera

Aske Alexander Foss

I'm trying hard to convince a producer to shoot on 35mm instead of either s16mm or digital(the director is 100% with me). Off course the budget is xtremely tight.

I recon that the only/best/cheapest way is to go 2-perf / techniscope.

The set-up is that I'm shooting 90% handheld, in small locs, in cars etc. Some scene will be shot allmost with hidden camera(only Dir,DP,sound+1)Therefore I would prefer to use a small&simple a camera as possible.(at 1 point I'll have to load myself!!!)

The ideal would be a blimped 235.

Anybody has any suggestions, advise, ideas??

I know about the Penelope, but finds it somewhat complicated and expensive, but maybe it's the best way to go. Please give me you input.

aafoss

• Premium Member

There have, I am told, been a few converted Konvas 2M cameras 'round for 2 perf... however, neither that nor the 235 with a barney will be particularly quiet. It might be wiser to bite the bullet a bit and grab a not so cheap quieter camera for the smaller scenes, or shoot those on S16mm leaving the 2 perf camera for when you can back off a bit and/or MOS scenes.

If you ask them far enough in advance Panavision would convert any of their camera to a 2 perf including the lightest being the Lightweight XL. A caveat though is that it is meant only for steadicam use and so it doesn't have an eyepeice, you'd have to go off a monitor. If I were you I'd try to find a converted Movicam, i did see a 2 perf BL3 around somewhere back but I forgot where- sorry. If you look you'll find. The cheapest option (that I've seen) would be with Bruce Taylor at indi35.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi i am a new member,I am a French Canadian i have a Konvas M2 yes it's look like the Eclair Cameflex CM3

few Konvas M2 was modified for techniscope but it's like rebuild the camera and cost 4 to 5,000.

At the beginning of December i find the Moscow design engineering how made a camera superlight in 35mm AST.saI 135

how could run at 2 or 4 perforations.

I send them a email but never got a answer and i do not speak Russian.

http://www.mkbk.ru/pr_en/razrabotki.htm

AAton made one small but not cheap. But do not forget they over charge at lab to scan a techniscope film it's where you lost all the benefice of the saving.( considering the scanning price first )

At the beginning of December i find the Moscow design engineering how made a camera superlight in 35mm AST.saI 135

how could run at 2 or 4 perforations.

I send them a email but never got a answer and i do not speak Russian.

http://www.mkbk.ru/pr_en/razrabotki.htm

AAton made one small but not cheap.

There is also a 65mm version of this camera.

http://in70mm.com/news/2009/mkbk_65mm_camera/index.htm

65mm_back.jpg003.jpg

65mm_front.jpg004.jpg

I doubt that the 35mm version is going to really be cheap. I'd guess it's in the price range of an Arri 235.

However I'm intriged by the Stereo camera. 001.jpg

I'm thinking it uses 16mm or S16 side by side stereo pairs on 35mm, just as Stereo 70 uses side by side S35 size pairs on 65/70mm.