Sand and fog's pretty solid!

Just saw House of Sand And Fog last night - Wow, what a great film! - One of the saddest and most truthful films I've seen in a long while. I'm still thinking about it now. As far as I'm concerned that's cinema. No explosions, CGI or fancy special effects, just a great simple dramatic story, amazing actors especially Ben Kingsley and a brilliant director and dp. They really should win something...

I'm gonna see it.

After the Academy Awards, I usually make it a point to see films that were nominated, but didn't win, rather than the other way around.

Not on purpose, just that for my taste, the losers tend to look more interesting, at least on the whole.

Matt Pacini

Some of the finest performances captured on film last year. I liked Sean Penn just fine in Mystic River, but his was a fairly one-note character while Tim Robbins and Marcia Gay Harden were the ones who were constantly in changing turmoil, ever changing and creating the drama of the film (for me). Ben Kingsley's performance in House of Sand and Fog was always fascinating, constantly revealing new levels to his character. It is a heartbreaking performance.

The house interior and a large section of the exterior was built in a studio. Controlling the fog for multiple shots over time would be difficult if not impossible, so unless it was a wide shot that had to be done on location it was likely in the studio.

• 5 months later...

"Just saw House of Sand And Fog last night - Wow, what a great film! - One of the saddest and most truthful films I've seen in a long while" I agree. Wonderful, moving movie. It is a must-see in my book and will be in yours if you see it.

• 2 weeks later...