IMAX is not the IMAX I remember

Joe Taylor

Glad I found this thread - I thought I was going mad!

I saw Avatar 3D [and enjoyed it] last week at an "Odeon imax" in Greenwich, which cost £15.

The screen was 15.5m x 7.7m. I kept staring at it before the film started thinking 'that doesn't look as big as I remember imax to be'. Looking at the projection window, it appeared to be 2 digital projectors.

I now realise that I could have watched it at the BFI imax in Waterloo, which has a screen size of 26m x 20m and shows true imax film prints. A ticket for that cinema would have cost.....£15.

I definitely feel I have been ripped off by Odeon's misnomer :angry:

Edited by Nigel Smith

Does anyone know if the universal city imax screen is a "true" imax screen? As far as I could tell when seeing the dark knight there, it seems to be. Its a huge screen, more square than rectangular, and as far as I know, they do project 70 mil there. Does anyone know for certain?

• Premium Member
Does anyone know if the universal city imax screen is a "true" imax screen? As far as I could tell when seeing the dark knight there, it seems to be. Its a huge screen, more square than rectangular, and as far as I know, they do project 70 mil there. Does anyone know for certain?

It's been around a long time so it must be a regular IMAX theater.

Haven't there also been plans to install DLP projectors in existing IMAX theatres (not Omnimax though) so all blowups can be shown digitally?

For certain movies, honestly, there isn't much point in blowing 2K files up to 70mm film.