BOLEX SBM lens suggestions

Steven Budden

Hola,

I was looking to get a REX 5 bolex but I wound up with an SBM (because I found a good deal on one and it has the 13x viewfinder). Anyway, first of all I'm going to convert to super 16mm after I get it checked out. And then, I am interested in using primes but should I go for c mounts and get some kind of adapter or do they even make them for the turret? It came with one of those POE 16- 100 lenses and for one things its heavy and for another thing it looks like there is some white stuff inside the lens element just beginning... is there a way to clean that out? I want to use primes because I want to at least have the option of handheld and that lens is just overly bulky and heavy, and I want a wider shot.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

PS. Does anyone know where I can find the manual for the SBM or for that lens? Thanks!

Guest Ian Marks

I may have the manual for the 16-100; I'll take a look for it and if I can find it I could try scanning it.

My understanding is that this lens is one of few zooms designed for regular 16mm that also covers super 16 throughout its range. In that respect you're lucky to have bought it with the camera. I know it's big, but if the problem you described can be fixed, you might want to keep the lens and simply augment it with a wide angle lens in a C-mount for the time being - you can add other primes later. You'll need the Bolex Bayonet to C-mount adapter, of course, but that can stay on the lens all the time, so lens changes will at least be mercifully quick.

I have heard that some of the 10mm Switars cover super 16 and some don't - I guess you'd have to check once your camera has been modified. I have heard that the "unobtainium" 10mm Cine-Nikkor covers super 16 too, but I have yet to see one.

If money is no object, invest in a C-mount to PL adapter (there have been some lately on Ebay) or invest in Les Bosher's PL hard-front modification (he can do the super 16 mod too). You can then use all the latest and greatest glass - Zeiss, Cooke, and Canon zooms, Elite and Zeiss primes, etc.

Edited by Ian Marks

• Premium Member
PS. Does anyone know where I can find the manual for the SBM or for that lens? Thanks!

Look toward the bottom of this forum, there is a section for Manuals and Docs. I sent Tim Tyler a PDF of the Bolex manual for that lens and the 400 ft magazine. You can download it free from there. There is also a manual for the EBM there, but I do not know if that would help you much with your SBM.

As far as the 16-100 POE lens goes, it is a very common lens for the Bolex bayonet mounted cameras. It will not cover the full Super 16mm range, you will get vignetting below 25mm on the zoom. From 25 to 100 it works great though.

-Tim

There is an adapter for C mount lenses. It generally runs $125.

Switars 10mm and up will cover super 16. With the 10mm you have to be careful

if you hang a filter and lens hood off the front as it may cause some vignetting or portholing. Otherwise, your good.

Alain (SBM owner)

So I need the C mount to the PL adaptor, which would mean I need both? Money is kind of an object. Would the experts recommend the PL adaptor or the c mount? I guess it depends on preference. With the PL I can use the contemporary lenses and 35 mm lenses right? And any 35 will cover super 16 I assume? Anyone have any luck with any specific ones that aren't priced through the roof?

Also, anyone have any personal experience with guy @ cameras pro? I was thinking of doing the conversion there. I'm in San Francisco. Anyone know of anywhere in town here that I could trust with the camera?

I'll check out those manuals. Thanks everyone!

Steven

There is an adapter for C mount lenses. It generally runs $125.

Switars 10mm and up will cover super 16. With the 10mm you have to be careful

if you hang a filter and lens hood off the front as it may cause some vignetting or portholing. Otherwise, your good.

Alain (SBM owner)

Why would it cause vignetting or portholing with a lens hood? Is that the lens hood showing up at the edges of the frame?

Steven

and for another thing it looks like there is some white stuff inside the lens element just beginning...

Sounds like the start of fungus / mold. I live in the sub-tropics...where anything that sits still for a few months grows some kind of mold. I've seen some really sad lenses, completely overgrown, completely fuzzed white on the inside. Couldn't see through them at all. No real way to kill it from outside the lens. Honestly, I don't know if the fungus can be safely removed once it takes "root." I would have the lens serviced as soon as possible to stop the spread.

Peace,

Diana

Also,

The PL mount... does that cover 35mm still lenses as well as newer 16mm lenses? I just ask because I saw that there is also a Nikon mount. It sounds like I can get nice 35mm still lenses for much cheaper than the 16mm lenses that would produce a similar or better image. Is my reasoning flawed? Also, anyone know of any 35mm still lenses they've tried on 16mm (super 16, actually) and have gotten good results with?

Thanks!

Steven

• 4 months later...

I guess I've decided to use switars for now, and a 16 - 100 POE vario switar. I hear that for the price they can't be beat... also, since I have the bolex bay mount and there are some decent zooms actually designed for it, I might as well stick with that mount for now.

Also, I hear that the POE can actually be used all the way down to 16mm in super "if you're lucky." Anyone have any experience with this. What is this "luck," just subtleties in the size of the filed gate? I've heard you can only go down to 25mm in super on those lenses, but someone told me that mostly comes from people who haven't used them, they've only "heard" themselves. Anyone have any direct experience with this?

Thanks for all the advice!

Steven

• 2 years later...

A Cine-Nikkor 10mm just ended on Ebay for around $200! I think I missed a chance to buy a very decent Super16 wide for next to nothing....or am I mistaken? I watched the seconds tick away, and I was having trouble justifying the expense, since I already have a Zeiss Jena Tevidon 10mm f2 (which I assure you I will be writing about here, after resolution tests are done....since not a single person in history, seems to have ever used this lenses, yet many have opinions about them). I also have the 16mm f1.8, and the 25mm f1.4 Tevidons. None of which are tested yet, as they will first be collimated by Bernie O'Doherty, to be used on my Super16 Eclair ACL. And yes, that 10mm easily clears Super16, and ...at least through the viewfinder.....it seemingly free of barrel distortion. Is it a sharp and usable lens? Stay tuned, and you will be getting the first actual results from a series of detailed lp/mm tests I will be doing with the help of a test chart I bought. (and good lord, the instructions that came with the chart are lengthy! At least to use them with absolute accuracy).

Stay tuned.