How to do a negative cut?

• Premium Member

Aren't Anglo-Saxons mostly Germanic? We did that in Western Civ, Roman to-. It's been a while. Still I've got modern hate-dar. It sounded a tad mean to me. But, then again, I really like Simon. His tip on camera body metals was great for me.

Paul: I've only done 16mm neg.'s, just like you.

Even though 35mm is bigger, I wouldn't recommend it, A&B roll regardless.

Simon, I agree with Dominic. None of us fought against you in "The Great WWII," our parents or grandparents here did. Let's just leave it that. They fought so we didn't have to. . .

As an Anglo-Saxon I'm not offended. I doubt they've been identifiable as a race for centuries, anyway.

I think that is the point. In the message, Simon rounded up a number of people who happened to disagree with his view, noticed that some of them had English-sounding names and/or lived in English-speaking countries, and thereby identified them as a group in some confusing way, compounding this by siding with the original poster, using German, on the strength of his name sounding Germanic.

It's probably more or less harmless in this forum, as most of the participants in this thread are familiar with each other - at least through the internet. But really this is exactly typical of the start of a long and slippery slope towards much more dangerous behaviour in other arenas.

I too enjoy Simon's posts on this forum (maybe because I so often find something to disagree with, we must be similar in some awful way :blink: ) . My comment wasn't about Simon personally, but about the message.

Finally,

Simon, I agree with Dominic. None of us fought against you in "The Great WWII,"

In the interests of accuracy, I believe Simon is Swiss, so in fact no-one fought against him or his forefathers.

• Premium Member
In the interests of accuracy, I believe Simon is Swiss, so in fact no-one fought against him or his forefathers.

There's a good reason for that. Switzerland did a lot of tunneling, and fortified their mountain passes to such an extent that the German general staff were able to convince Hitler that an invasion wouldn't be cost effective. He had no respect for treaties, let alone neutrality. And today the only thing their army is famous for is .... those complicated knives. ;-)

-- J.S.

And today the only thing their army is famous for is .... those complicated knives. ;-)
. . . in a brilliant arc, John brings the discussion back to the original topic of negative cutting.

I wouldn't recommend a Swiss Army knife for cutting your neg, and I'm still waiting to see the filmmaker's version (with built in register pins and a little brush for applying the cement). But I would agree that the Hammann cleaver (yes, German) is the best tool for the job.

• Premium Member
There's a good reason for that. Switzerland did a lot of tunneling, and fortified their mountain passes to such an extent that the German general staff were able to convince Hitler that an invasion wouldn't be cost effective. He had no respect for treaties, let alone neutrality. And today the only thing their army is famous for is .... those complicated knives. ;-)

-- J.S.

Those pike columns were formidable in their day.

...back on topic, "I once cut a whole feature with nothing more than a Swiss halberd and a case of chewing gum."

Why don't you post a crudely photoshopped photo to prove it. . . :unsure:

Seriously, though, Paul, you ought not post drunk or high here. I'd say greater than 50% of your posts are made under the influence, or at least off your meds.

• Premium Member

High, Karl

You're stating Film Loader, hihi.

No slope was intended. I was brought up very rudely in the sixties. I know I must get rid of some tone. Still, a bunch of us started to teach the initial poster instead of encouraging him. Why not let him find out himself? I thought it's such a rare incident that someone dares simply picking up the existing.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

Just to let you know negative cutting is alive and well in the UK.

Just cut a 35mm feature film in 35mm A & B roll to cutting copy (workprint) for Ken Loaches new film which is being printed as I write this, it will be shown in Cannes next week.

We are logging Clash of the Titans for archive, just did the same on Sherlock Holmes

Cutting 3 Bollywood films for a DI finish.

We cut, Batman Begins, Troy, King Aurther, Kingdom of Heavan, 7 years in Tibet, in the past just to name a few, we were a company of 14 people now down to 2.

www.negcut.com is my site now out of date but use it to contact me if needed. Spent 10 years on the UK Technicolor site.

Met Mo Henry once for lunch, scary lady.

Yes we are the last company left in the UK.

And neg cutting is easy, well after 33 year of practice it is.

cheers

Steve