Eye

I was somewhere on transport and was looking at this person's face very closely. It was sunrise - the sun was not very high but there were loads of clouds and it created a very bright , very soft source and I saw a true 3d view of the eye. I really saw that there was a clear layer of liquid above the coloured iris of the eye and it caught the light beautifully - I have had a look around the web and found this image which is pretty close - any ideas on how to create this look intentionally

Brown%20Eye%20Girl.jpg

NOTE : This is not my image

It is almost like true RGB spectrum caustics on the liquid above the iris - kind of how a diamond prism would exhibit RGB colours at the end range of caustic illumination - I would go in really close wide - I have a 16mm with the near focus pin knocked out - so I can go in this close - I would use the wide to get 3d not beauty - but the light and the liquid depth of the eye is what i am after

I love seeing new things like this - now to be able to produce it on command B)

thanks

R

Yeap - I had a quick play and the best effect is for low level as regards the horizon sunlight (I suppose you could dutch tilt a noon shot to get the look :)

It looks even better with cloud cover (not too heavy) but I am playing around with various lights to get the effect (I spent about 30 min on it) but it doesn't seem right

Any advice on a light source I could try? - as bigclive said the UK sky is a point source with variable diffusion

thanks

R

Hi,

I've noticed this same thing on several occasions, and it seems like it's always coming from a strong point source from the side, something almost at the plane of the iris, if that makes sense, combined with very high contrast.

cheers,

Kim Sargenius

cinematographer

sydney